Newbie having consistency issues with a Rocket R60V

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Altair

#1: Post by Altair »

After transitioning from a Nespresso (gasp!) to a Breville Barista Express and now, after much research, I have bought my dream set up, a beautiful Rocket R60V and a Rocket Fausto grinder, I am in love and very impressed with what they can do and how well made they are. However my espresso is very inconsistent, I have had some amazing shots and some horrible shots and just can't settle down on a point to go back to, my tamp is probably not that consistent yet too. The Breville with the pressurized filter would never get truly great shots, but was very forgiving.

I couldn't find that much documentation or guide on this equipment, I was wondering if someone could help me get my equipment settings to a point where I can consistently make decent shots, practice the Mano element of espresso, and in the future start changing these settings as I become more comfortable with my technique. I have also decided to stick to Lavatza Crema beans only for the next two months to minimize the variables before going back to fresh roasted.

The settings I mean include pressure profile, grind setting, how many grams in each type of portafilter, brew temp, etc etc. I really appreciate any help!

Mrboots2u

#2: Post by Mrboots2u replying to Altair »

Where are you based ? I would try and find some local training to get to grips wit espresso basics, other than use the search function on here and go through the beginners thread in the how to section . Setting for grind will be dependent on coffee , dose and where your Grinder is set to zero , so won't get you to tasty . Stick to a double bakset , get some scales , find a local cafe that does training before you start going down the rabbit hole of pressure profiling. Personally I'd buy some fresher coffee but to each their own .

Altair (original poster)

#3: Post by Altair (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I am in an isolated region and have no access to training or decent coffee shops, I fedex everything including my beans.

Agreed, I am trying to minimize the variables as stated, so what I would need at this point is to calibrate my equipment to a safe universalish settings, so I can focus on learning. I do have a scale.

Thanks again for the reply

Mrboots2u

#4: Post by Mrboots2u replying to Altair »

Standard rocket basket , should be around 16 g . Stick to one profile ( one of the pre programmed ones ) Aim to get 32g ish espresso in around 25-35 seconds from when you pull the lever down ( i think the R60 has a shot clock anyway )
Taste , adjust grind .
Either use the how to's here or look at the barista hustle articles
https://baristahustle.com/the-espresso-compass/
Personally i prefer to weigh my espresso and dose , rather than go for a blonding point as i find it easier to repeat and explain to people .

JK

#5: Post by JK »

Naked Portafilter will let you check your dosing skills..
I bought a new Tamper that is Perfectly Sized for my basket, it really made a big difference for me..
I was very skeptical but I am now a believer..
Also get a dosing funnel and some extra small bamboo skewers so stir the dose and do the WDT
Weight, Dose into basket with funnel, WDT, Tamp on counter twice lightly to set dose below funnel and tamp..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

maxbmello

#6: Post by maxbmello »

Fresher coffee will also aid in consistency. You have no idea when those beans were roasted, and that will cause some headaches trying to pull a good shot.

Once I started home roasting I noticed how much more consistent everything became because I knew exactly when each batch had need roasted.

Ymmv

canuckcoffeeguy

#7: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Ahmed, based on your location info it appears you're in Saudi Arabia. Try contacting these HB members in SA. The first member below is a roaster and the second has a Rocket R58. Maybe they can help with finding beans and more. Fresh beans will help you.
/member/tamarian/
/member/bamaster/

CorvusDoug

#8: Post by CorvusDoug »

That's a great setup! Jealous.

Ditto to these guys. Weigh your doses, weigh your shots, and keep track of the time. Also: Check out www.baristahustle.com for some really excellent and accessible guides. Good luck!
Corvus Coffee Roasters - Denver, CO

FirstBetta

#9: Post by FirstBetta »

This website helped me figure out how to proceed to get what I wanted. Link - http://www.espressomyespresso.com/. Short of me writing a long screed that wouldn't be very helpful and maybe inaccurate this website will stir enough brain matter into action.

Altair (original poster)

#10: Post by Altair (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies everyone, allot of very useful info! I will go through those resources and keep practicing and will post back my results.

I have been pulling better shots with more consistency as I get to familiarize myself with my equipment, speaking of which, the Rocket R60V and Fausto are a dream! And they work magically together!

Again, thanks to everyone for the kind help!