Newbie espresso problem: Nothing for 15 seconds, then gushes

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
RagingMammoth

#1: Post by RagingMammoth »

I'm no newbie to espresso, but am having a big problem with my recently received Brewtus. Nothing came out for 15 or so seconds, then it came out. So I thought, ah it's just way too fine so I knocked back my grind massively. Then nothing came out for 15 seconds, then gushed out. What on earth is happening? Is it some setting issue?

The pump does run and everything comes out on command, but what am I doing wrong?

Okay, I may have exaggerated. It's around 11 seconds until something comes out. I watched this video and the same thing happens. is this normal?

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

That seems to be a common report on the vibe pump, tank fed Brewtus IV machines. There is a pre-infusion chamber in the group, and the vibe pump also seems to take a couple extra seconds to hit pressure.

Watching the video above you'll see it's about 10 seconds before the brew pressure gets up to 9 bar. A search on google yields several threads discussing the same observation.
LMWDP #445

RagingMammoth (original poster)

#3: Post by RagingMammoth (original poster) replying to DanoM »

Should I be concerned? This is not satisfying considering I just dumped £1,100 on this machine...

#4: Post by RagingMammoth (original poster) »

Well, now the thing won't even turn on. Died mid shot.

Catherwood

#5: Post by Catherwood »

Check the water level if this is a reservoir fed machine. Pumps/machine turn off when water is low as a precaution. Check the simplest solution first.

#6: Post by RagingMammoth (original poster) replying to Catherwood »

Yeah, 3/4s full.

ic55

#7: Post by ic55 »

I got same problem with my NS Musica too..
But when I watch video on youtube, most ppl could start extraction from 8 secs also using Musica...
Hmm...is it the problem with my Musica's pump?

weebit_nutty

#8: Post by weebit_nutty »

your pump is shot..
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

#9: Post by RagingMammoth (original poster) replying to weebit_nutty »

Absolutely correct... pump just didn't come up to pressure. I sent it back and got a Duetto 3.