Newbie espresso machine maintenance tips

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mattbee

#1: Post by mattbee »

So I've had a Krups espresso machine (XP 4020) since May and been using it once/twice daily without any maintenance other than washing down anything that looked grubby / covered in grounds. As of the last 2-3 weeks it's really not performing properly any more - there is no crema, it splutters and sprays quite soon after engaging, and it's generally not giving the delicious results I got from it before. I assume the lack of crema, and associated spluttering/steam release from the bottom is a symptom that the pressure isn't what it ought to be.

I looked around for espresso machine maintenance tips, and found that, aha, I could unscrew the filter / seal out of the top of the machine and give that a clean - it had a residue on the outside so I gave it a wash down and replaced it. But still no joy this morning.

I've now ordered some espresso machine tablets which I assume will at least descale (?), and a better tamper to replace the plastic one that came with the machine (well just in case I've had a bad run of tamping). Is there anything else that a new barista needs to know with a simple home unit like this one?

Specifically I also looked up backflushing the machine, but I'm not sure I've got the solid disc needed to do that, and the manual doesn't mention it - is that as important with a home machine? I find some of the maintenance tips I've googled for a bit confusing / technical / only applicable to giant commercial machines, so words of one syllable would be appreciated :)

noah

#2: Post by noah »

Backflushing is only possible on machines with something called a 3-way valve. Here is a link that explains what this valve does, but in short, your machine does not have one, so do not worry about it (it is a feature found only on some of the pricier home machines).

As for regular cleaning, I would purchase some Cleancaf. It is a descaler and cleaner that you put in the water tank and run through your machine.

However, if there is a problem with a gasket or seal, or something else, then, while it is certainly fixable if you can find the broken part/replacement, you have a nice excuse on your hands to upgrade to a more capable machine!
LMWDP #263

mattbee (original poster)

#3: Post by mattbee (original poster) »

Thanks Noah, I am getting tastier results after giving the filters a less cursory clean, but the flow from the nozzles still isn't very smooth. I will try some cleaning tablets when they arrive.

#4: Post by mattbee (original poster) »

So it's reallly bad now and I'm close to chucking the whole thing :( I had put some Puly Caff through the water tank, and flushed it out fully with clean water twice now. But every drink that comes out is a disaster that still tastes of detergent; did I do something wrong in cleaning it this way? The manufacturers guide doesn't mention cleaning at all, other than wiping down the showerhead and portafilter.

I think the machine starts leaking steam and the pressure disappearing once it has "warmed up" a bit, so there's no point me trying to use it after flushing the entire water tank. In fact it has leaked so much it has started to warp the plastic handle on the front.

*sigh* Off to Starbucks for a fix then...

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

mattbee wrote:I had put some Puly Caff through the water tank, and flushed it out fully with clean water twice now. But every drink that comes out is a disaster that still tastes of detergent; did I do something wrong in cleaning it this way?
Puly Caff's main ingredient is trisodium phosphate and is not meant to go through the boiler. CleanCaf, whose main ingredient is citric acid, is much milder and rinses away more readily. The detergent taste will eventually go away with enough flushing, but keep in mind the pump should be run no longer than 1 minute before allowing it to "rest" for 1 minute, otherwise you risk overheating it.
mattbee wrote:I think the machine starts leaking steam and the pressure disappearing once it has "warmed up" a bit, so there's no point me trying to use it after flushing the entire water tank. In fact it has leaked so much it has started to warp the plastic handle on the front.
Sorry, you lost me here. :?
Dan Kehn

#6: Post by mattbee (original poster) »

Thanks Dan, yes, I think had overheated it previously through trying to flush it continuously. I will have a bit of patience and try to flush it a few more times without overheating. By the by I couldn't find a list of ingredients for Puly Caff anywhere, as I was wondering what it was I could taste!