New WBC Espresso Machine: Victoria Arduino Black Eagle

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Marshall

#1: Post by Marshall »

Just announced today, the 2015-17 official espresso machine (used in all WBC competitions) will be the Victoria Arduino Black Eagle. Yes, it's still a Nuovo Simonelli, but a different machine. More here: http://www.victoriaarduino.com/landing/index_eng.html

The Mahlkonig K30 Vario has been re-certified as the official grinder.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Cool, I think it is a good choice.

I got to use the Black Eagle a few months back at the Hong Kong Barista Championship, it is a really beautiful machine. It will look great on stage next year, also will "hide" the view of the barista less, easy to see the action. I am surprised the K30 came back, it has never seemed to catch fire, this year I have seen a lot of Anfims, Mythos One's, and of course EK43's out in the competitors hands.
LMWDP #371

Chad C.

#3: Post by Chad C. »

I just read the description of it on their site, and there's no real information given as to how they've used the technologies in this machine. I'd like to see bullet pointed specifications, diagrams, and lots of internal pics.

It has undeniable visual appeal, but how is it to use? Is it satisfying? Fun? Interesting to watch? As a driver and an auto racing enthusiast I'd be horrified if Lexus provided a dozen sedans for the IMSA Championship series for the next three years.

This is arguably an unfair comparison, but maybe the chosen machine should be more about the "thrill of victory... Agony of defeat", maybe with a machine that many of have used/serviced/owned. I think that would make for a better event to attend or follow online.

Am I thinking of years past with the Linea? Yes. Any competitive barista has used one, and most people who would attend or follow the event have too. It'd be less about marketing a new product, and more about demonstrating the skills that produce the winning presentation.

I've long daydreamed about the "Iron Barista" competition. Wherein, each barista is required to ignite a fuel burning Lever espresso machine with the fuel of their choice, with considerations based on skill required, visual presentation, and manageability. Charcoal, coal, propane... Whatever combination of fuel and skill gets the boiler to the competition's predetermined pressure setting and maintains it most effectively while the machine is in use by the barista.

As the fuel heats the boiler up to temp, the contestant prepares a round of non-espresso drinks in the manner of their choosing. Again, with considerations such as style & visual appeal in mind and judged with consideration of the result in the cup. It wouldn't be a swift competition, but neither is baseball.

The spirit of competition is a huge part of what can end up in the cup. I've competed regionally in years past, and attended several events. I enjoy the events, but it often seems like they're produced by the American Kennel Club. They're like dog shows. They often lack real style, drama and spirit. It's more about the breeder than the dog. I think the barista competitions should be focused on the barista, or "dog" which inspires the manufacturer/roaster, or "breeder".
Maybe I've become old. My pants fit comfortably, my phone is three years old, and I'm out on the porch smoking a huge cigar that I lit over an hour ago. I'm old enough to recall a classic rock lyric: "...and the man in the suit has just bought a new car with the profit he made on your dreams". - Traffic

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by contraflow88 »

I guess I am a little bit surprised too, I thought the mythos might have a chance and the super caimano. But then again I can see why the mythos wasn't included due to it being a Nuova Simonelli product, that would monopolize the counter top by way of one manufacturer, maybe?
As for the La Marzocco and other presences I'm sure the GB/5 or Strada have seen better days. The strada with the pressure profile would create repeatability issues which in my opinion would be fun to see how the baristas manage. Like wise on the other hand the GB/5 is an awesome machine but it's not the latest and greatest thus when you look at Nuova Simonelli's proprietary T3 technology paired with an appealing VA exterior anyone would be captivated and aw struck. I guess this is the glitter and glamour of the competition.

The Mahlkonig K30 grinder is an exceptional grinder with plenty of a** kicking potential. I am pretty impressed with it. The arrival of the K30 Air is not a remarkable difference to the conventional K30. Made to reduce temperature and stay cooler. And the exterior trim is black with silver and metallic accents. I think we will see this grinder appear for sure.

Marshall (original poster)

#5: Post by Marshall (original poster) »

Just to be clear, the selection process is in two steps. First manufacturers submit their machines for rigorous testing. A very small number of machines are then named as eligible for selection. The second step is competitive bidding to be the official machines. So the final selection will reflect the financial resources and marketing decisions of the manufacturers in addition to the quality of their equipment.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Compass Coffee

#6: Post by Compass Coffee replying to Marshall »

+1, they're willing to pay the biggest bucks to have the machine out there to be seen.

Too bad that one of it's biggest techno' advantages with T3 is ability to set individual group brew temps. In competitions barista are not allowed to adjust the espresso machine after it's setup and dialed in by the competition techs! Unless they're changing the competition rules...
Mike McGinness