New to semi-automatics, can't figure out VFA dose buttons

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
stuartmac

#1: Post by stuartmac »

So I finally got a small 110v machine, laranzato Casa aka vfa until I can make space and hookups for my big faema. Not best but it was cheap and it fits my faema portafilters.

Im not used to volumetric dosing, I'm used to my 30sec shot timer. I'm sure my grinder will have to be re adjusted but I'm not sure quite how to go about doing it.

If I push the double shot button on an empty filter it gives me two ounces like i presume it should. When I pack the filter and try the same thing I get about an ounce then the machine stops. So I'm assuming my grind needs to be adjusted but does the machine as well?

The machine is used so I presume someone has programmed all four shot buttons but I'm not sure what the different shaded cups are all supposed to signify. Far right two empty cups gives me two ounces, (with empty filter).

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

I'm not an expert, especially on volumetric machines - I've never used one. The grinds in the basket are certainly absorbing an amount of water (they're wet!)- 1 oz. in this case? You should assume that all the buttons are totally off of what someone who knows what they're doing would have set them to. They probably all need reprogramming, or just measure what they all do and hopefully one of them will be just right (3oz?).
LMWDP #353

Spitz.me

#3: Post by Spitz.me »

They're practically what the pictures tell you they are. Yes, you should reprogram them if you are going to auto-dose your water for each shot. I don't recommend it, but you certainly can try.

FYI the dark space in the cups signifies liquid not air. The far right button has 2 full cups.

Full cup = double dose (double espresso - classic 14g)
half cup = single dose (single espresso - classic 7g)

2 full cups = 2 x double dose
2 half cups = 2 x single dose

Just use the machine like a manual, the * button lets you start and stop the shot as you please.
LMWDP #670

stuartmac (original poster)

#4: Post by stuartmac (original poster) »

what would a 2x double be?

Thats the button that give me my double shot right now, for now im just using the manual to get the grinder dialed back in. Im not sure how much i trust the tiny little flow meter in this machine either.

the two single cup buttons seems to do a pre infusion thing as well.

Spitz.me

#5: Post by Spitz.me »

I have the La Valentina semi-auto with programmable dosing buttons, I've only ever used them to time flushes so I didn't have to sit there and flush, flush.

I would forget you have those buttons. I'd imagine they'll be more of a PITA than do any good.

Cutting the shot off yourself should be the only way to do it, unless you don't care about it.
LMWDP #670

bean2friends

#6: Post by bean2friends »

The number of cups on the buttons are just suggestions for how you might want to program them. I have programmable buttons on my machines, but I have them programmed to give me plenty of water so that I can shut it off when I choose.

bmb

#7: Post by bmb »

I have the single programmed for 25ml and the double for 50ml, and love it !
It's very convenient, gives you the time to pay atention to the timer, prepare your pitcher, use a mirror, steam, take a phone call, etc. ; and if, exceptionally, happens to begin blonding before it finishes, just press the button and it will stop immediately.

#8: Post by stuartmac (original poster) »

im going to stick with manual i think, its what im used to anyway. its quite a change from the big machine, steaming milk seems like it takes hours instead of the few seconds im used to

JimH

#9: Post by JimH »

This is a possibility... enter the programming mode by holding down the asterisk button for 5 or 6 seconds. You will know you succeeded if the buttons start to flash. If that worked, press the button you want to program (with a full portafilter engaged) and press the button again when you reach your desired volume. I'm not sure how to exit programming mode, but I'm guessing turning off the power would do it. Other Spanish machines enter programming mode by holding down buttons while turning on the power, but I think I gave you the correct procedure for VFA.

#10: Post by stuartmac (original poster) »

yep your right the star button is the way to enter programing , i was playing around with it last night.

Need some fresh beans to see if i got the grinder dialed in again, the hx loop on this small machine seams to spike temp quite fast when left for at idle for a few minutes,