New Slayer espresso machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
fredfal

#1: Post by fredfal »

I just found this video on youtube. These guys are working on an espresso machine that has variable brew pressure.

I also went to their web site http://www.slayerespresso.com/and their flickr. I've never heard of these machines before, but they have some really intriguing ideas. It's hard to tell, but it looks like there's a lever sort of like the LM paddle that allows you to manually control the brew pressure as the shot extracts.

Pretty cool.
-Fred

shadowfax

#2: Post by shadowfax »

I believe these guys are on the verge of revealing their machine more fully. So far they've only showed their results and their beautiful handmade paddle group. I believe that they are seeking to develop a 3-group pump machine that essentially mimics a spring-lever machine's pressure profile with a high degree of on-the-fly adjustability (which levers distinctly lack).

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the lever (paddle) controls anything more than preinfusion and pump actuation, just like how a Synesso or La Marzocco paddle works. I assume that the declining pressure that they achieve after preinfusion is controlled by some other means, but I could be way wrong--they've been really guarded with details so far.
Nicholas Lundgaard

networkcrasher

#3: Post by networkcrasher »

Yep - they definitely make it seem like the machine should be unveiled soon enough. My understanding is that some of the folks came from LM in the past (when they were building in the US), which spun off to Synesso, then off to this new machine/company. The progressive infusion/variable pressure sounds like the next logical step in espresso preparation. Next will be variable temperature! :-)

karl_a_hall

#4: Post by karl_a_hall »

Not sure if anyone is closely following the development or anything, but browsing around flickr and found photos of what seems to be the new Slayer!?

http://flickr.com/photos/spooof/3242311 ... 754359104/

Looks pretty neat-o thus far.

Slayer Espresso Home Page detailing their goals in what they are attempting: http://www.slayerespresso.com/

networkcrasher

#5: Post by networkcrasher »

Nice find! That is most definitely the Slayer - the group actuators are unmistakable. Sweet looking machine!!

networkcrasher

#6: Post by networkcrasher »

SlayerEspresso wrote:Well - after someone leaked some cell phone pictures of the machine onto the inter-tubes this past weekend, we figured the cat was out of the bag...and we should let everyone know (officially) that the machine actually exists in the wild.

These pictures are of the pre-production machine we hand built in Seattle early December - and is now being tested in Calgary at Fratello (much to everyone's delight there). If you're in Calgary - please give us a shout and we'll schedule a private test drive ;-)

We'll be updating the blog more often now with details on what the machine actually does & how it does it.

Let us know your thoughts & enjoy the pix.

Jason
http://www.slayerespresso.com/

Endo

#7: Post by Endo »

Sweet. Sides and front are nice looking (for the Barista at least). Back is very boring. Looks like a feeding trough (or a baby basinette). Needs a "bad ass" Slayer logo on it (like on the shirt the Barista is wearing in the photo).
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

networkcrasher

#8: Post by networkcrasher »

Endo wrote:Needs a "bad ass" Slayer logo on it (like on the shirt the Barista is wearing in the photo).
Definitely agree. I do love the texture on the rear though. I'm curious about what Ian Clark on Coffeed mentioned wrt opening up the side panels on the machine since it's supported by the sides. I wonder if thought was already put into that and the sides don't need to be removed under typical conditions. That or there is something that can be put under the machine to rest its weight on.

I'm also curious about the adjustment system to profile the pressure. I see the PID below, but no other controls.

Good news is there will eventually be a 1gp of the Slayer!

Oh, and what's up with storing the pitchers on top of the machine?

durwiler

#9: Post by durwiler »

I hope this helps to explain a little more about the X design and why this form was chosen...

http://www.slayerespresso.com/2009/02/0 ... /#more-190

Thanks,

Dan

networkcrasher

#10: Post by networkcrasher »

Nice! Thanks Dan. I don't think I'll completely 'get it' until you open up the machine. :-) Then again, I know why you haven't posted any shots of the inside yet. :wink:

(And thanks to Dan for splitting the thread)