New owner of Cimbali Junior Casa DT1 with setup problem

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
rockrimmon

#1: Post by rockrimmon »

Hello:

I am new to the site but have been reading posts here for almost a year. Finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago and purchased a La Cimbali M21 Junior Casa DT1 from Chris's Coffee and a new Mazzer Mini E. The unit arrived and I got it all connected and ready to use. I did most of the install myself but did have a plumber connect the drain and water supply under the sink. As a barisa I am more than clueless and yet to make my first shot (sink or otherwise) of Espresso. But I am an engineer by trade and generally can make things work.

My issue is this:

1. I followed the directions in the La Cimbali manual and am in the "lets turn it on and see if it makes steam" part of my install process. I turned on the Main Switch (which is under the front of the machine at the center) and stood back.

2. Per the manual the water level in the boiler was low (as it was brand new) and the Boiler Level light blinked for a bit until it filled up. The "Machine On" LED blinked as it should on the front of the machine indicating it was heating. The manual says it could take as long as 90 minutes for the light to stop blinking, which would then indicate that I am ready to use it.

Problem: After almost 2 hours my light continued to blink. I turned the machine off.

Symptoms which see irregular to me, but I really don't know:

1. The Boiler Level light came on several more times after it initially filled and I could hear water being drawn in. Despite the fact that I had not done anything, i.e. I had not consumed any water of any kind it seemed the boiler was asking for more water.

2. The machine makes a LOT of noise. Like an overheated radiator. It was hissing steam all over the place. I can't imagine sleeping in the morning if this is the normal noise.

3. My machine lives on a Corian countertop in a kitchen. There is an upper cabinet above the machine. The La Cimbali made so much steam that the entire underside of the cabinet, and some of the front, is covered in moisture. There was also water underneath it. I don't believe there is a water supply leak as the plumber had me check for leaks once the water was plumbed and before I turned it on. Meaning, if there's a leak, it must be inside the machine.

4. I did drill out the drip tray plastic pan as my machine is plumbed to dump water to the drain under the sink. Prior to turning the machine on we dumped at least a gallon of water slowly into the drip tray and it all went down the hatch. The plumber also tightened the connection under the machine where the water drain connection is and it did not leak.

5. My machine has one gauge with two indicators. The one on the right never moved at all. The one on the left stayed near the top except when it was taking in more water.

My guess:

1. Something inside the machine is not right.

2. Perhaps a loose connection that is allowing all of the steam to escape onto the counter top, cabinet, and all over the place. This would also explain why the boiler never reaches the correct temp. When it does the blinking light on the front should stop blinking but it does not.

3. The manual is pretty sparse. I called Chris's Coffee but they were closed for the day and it's Friday afternoon. I have a friend coming tomorrow to show me the ropes and sure would like to make this thing work if possible. If not, another call to Chris's on Monday would be in order.

I welcome any input and apologize in advance that my first post was a call for help.

Tom
Colorado Springs, CO

Al deHyde

#2: Post by Al deHyde »

Why don't you call Chris Coffee and lay your problem out to them? They always seem very helpful, and they are the experts in the "Casa" and can walk you through your problem(s). It is the more direct route.

Since it is the start of the weekend when you posted this, you could also send your edited text in an email message to their tech support INFO Chris Nachtrieb. I'd be shocked if you didn't get some kind of a quick and useful response. It's a great machine, BTW. :-)

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

rockrimmon wrote:The machine makes a LOT of noise. Like an overheated radiator.
Unplug it and contact Chris' Coffee Service. FULL STOP. Whatever is wrong, it sounds like water and steam are being released inside the casing; you risk making a minor problem much worse. They are highly skilled at diagnosing such problems over the phone.
Dan Kehn

rockrimmon (original poster)

#4: Post by rockrimmon (original poster) »

All:

I originally didn't call as it was after closing time at Chris's. I am in Colorado, they are NY. But I then did call the after hours phone number and got a call back within 30 minutes. The person on the phone was very helpful. He diagnosed the problem even w/o me touching the machine. I disassembled the top and left side and got to where the issue is. It was one of the valves from the boiler that should be open when it starts but close when it gets warm. It wasn't closing and was essentially acting as a kettle. The boiler was just pushing all the steam out.

With some basic tools (17mm socket, 17mm open ended wrench) I removed the faulty part, took it apart, reassembled, and put it back into the machine. I took a photo of it and sent it to Jason @ Chris's Coffee and he reviewed it in real time while I was putting it back onto the machine. It then worked. The part was not faulty but the technical support person (Jason) told me that these parts can be problematic and would send me a new part, and some free beans for my troubles on Monday. :D

While I had the sides off we adjusted two pressure settings that now has both dials on the gauge exactly where they should be. Essentially I got it all tuned up. It's been on now, but not pulling shots, for 2 hours + and no issues. Am going to leave it on all night and with the sides and top off to evaporate any more water inside the chassis. Tomorrow I'll unplug the unit and clean up any more water and then button it up.

Just took the Mazzer Mini E out of the box and put it on the counter. I'll start working on dialing it in this weekend.

Thanks for the input,

Tom

#5: Post by rockrimmon (original poster) »

It's been 24 hours and no issues since I got it back together. The boiler operates and no adverse affects. All of yesterday's moisture was gone and not a trace anywhere. Cleaned and put the sides and top back on.

Then put some beans in the Mazzer, ground and tamped a few singles and used my caffeine-addicted spouse as my guinea pig. I think my grinder is grinding too fine but not sure. No crema for sure in my shots. I then frothed some milk in a 12 oz pitcher and using the thermometer I bought got it into the right temp range. Frothing is definitely going to take some time to learn and do it right. I mostly just had really warm 2% milk w/o a lot of froth. But I have made my first two lattes in addition to several straight shots. I feel like I have the basic mechanics down.

Next step is to get my knowledgeable friend over and walk me through the process correctly before I learn any bad habits.

Link to Pic of my machine and grinder: http://vervaeke.smugmug.com/Home/Mesedg ... hine-L.jpg

Tom

hamish5178

#6: Post by hamish5178 »

Fantastic setup! If there's no crema, the problem likely isn't your grinder but the beans (unless it's way too coarse. Too fine would still give some crema). Are they freshly roasted? The only time I've ever had zero crema was when using starbucks beans as a newbie.

#7: Post by rockrimmon (original poster) »

Hamish:

The beans I am using came from Chris's with my machine. They are their own blend and called Black Pearl Espresso. I know they roast their own beans but not sure how old they are. I'm sure it's something I am doing wrong but will keep reading, testing, and working it. Lots of good info here and videos on the web.

Tom

boar_d_laze

#8: Post by boar_d_laze »

What are you doing to temp your machine?

In terms of crema, mouthfeel, and all that stuff... How large are your shots (preferably by weight)? What amount of coffee are you using? How are you prepping the basket? How long does it take you to draw a shot?

Of course freshness counts, but if Chris shipped the beans with the machine, they're probably fresh enough to at least generate some crema; the problem is likely something else.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

#9: Post by rockrimmon (original poster) »

Boar:

Answers below:

What are you doing to temp your machine?
=> Nothing yet.

In terms of crema, mouthfeel, and all that stuff... How large are your shots (preferably by weight)?
=> Nothing yet. Ordered a scale to weigh my grinds so I can calibrate the Mazzer. I have not measured the shots by weight or volume yet. The shots of espresso are not bitter at all as long as I do a water flush (or whatever you call it) before pulling a shot.

What amount of coffee are you using? How are you prepping the basket? How long does it take you to draw a shot?

=> See above. Will calibrate my Mazzer once I have a scale. Right now I am filling to what I think is the right spot on the single or double port filter. I have not timed a shot yet. I am not even sure what you mean by "prepping the basket". I have admitted I'm a newbie here.

A coffee friend came over this morning and adjusted the grind of the Mazzer to a lot
coarser. Meaning we turned the adjustment about 2" clockwise eventually. It came out of the grinder easier and was approximately the right volume for both a single and a double. Prior to that the volume out of the grinder was about 1/3 - 1/4 as much as now with the same single or double tap of the button.

Of course freshness counts, but if Chris shipped the beans with the machine, they're probably fresh enough to at least generate some crema; the problem is likely something else.

=> My coffee friend "munched" on one of the beans and stated they were fresh enough.

We made a few single and double espresso shots and then one large latte together. I have a lot to learn but now have another point of reference. This person added the milk and micro foam first and then let the double shot brew into the mug. He then added about 1/2 tsp of sugar as well. It was delicious.

So far my wife has left the house each day after consuming a latte or espresso and taking a double latte with her to the office. It will only get better as I learn the process and dial everything in.

Tom