New owner needs advice regarding Brasilia Portofino

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pulseorganics

#1: Post by pulseorganics »

Hi, just picked up a Brasilia Portofino. Don't seem to be having much success with getting it to work though. I suppose the first place to start would be with trying to obtain a user manual. Does anyone have one that they could email to me?

Regards John

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Most owner's manuals only cover the very basics. What doesn't work?
Dan Kehn

pulseorganics (original poster)

#3: Post by pulseorganics (original poster) »

Top half of gauge (which I believe is temperature) moves round to the number one. Bottom half of gauge does not move at all. Seems to be a lack of pressure when I try to make espresso, does not push water through coffee. Hot water seems to come out ok as does steam. Unsure why there is two setting on the on / off knob (bottom right hand corner) One of the three settings seems to be a squiggly line that turns on red light one setting says on and one says off (wont turn to this setting)

Regards John

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

How did you come to own this espresso machine (used)? Do you have experience with other espresso machines? How was it installed? Since the boiler has water but no flow from the grouphead, evidence points to an obstruction. You may want to seek out a local repair technician for assistance; with the benefit of the machine in front of them, they could figure it out in no time.
Dan Kehn

eastpresso

#5: Post by eastpresso »

Gauge

Upper half boiler pressure
Lower half brew pressure

Power switch

Setting one - machine on, heating element off
Setting two - machine on, heating element on

Not enough info to make a comment really..if the machine is plumbed in you should at least get line pressure on the lower gauge. Could be pump is cavitating (air or kink in the inlet hose? No water?) or the gauge itself or the pump setting or a restriction on the brew side etc. etc. etc

Pictures and a detailed description of the machine and what you do would help. Otherwise get professional assistance.

PM me your e-mail address and I will send you the manual (pdf) - this will not solve your problem.

chriscoffee
Sponsor

#6: Post by chriscoffee »

First the switch, position one is to allow power to fill the boiler. Position two provides power to the heater. If the boiler pressure gauge reads one bar that is normal setting for the boiler and should indicate you have steam pressure. Do you have steam? Did you fill the heat exchanger? After the boiler fills automatically you need to activate the brew cycle until water flows through the group to fill the exchanger. When you activate the brew cycle the pump gauge should read right around 9 bar whether the portafilter is in the group or not.
Chris Nachtrieb
Pres. Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.

#7: Post by pulseorganics (original poster) »

Well thank you for your replies. Perhaps I should just get the thing serviced by a professional. I am based in Brighton, Sussex, England. Any recommendations?

Regards John Towhill

#8: Post by pulseorganics (original poster) »

eastpresso wrote:PM me your e-mail address and I will send you the manual (pdf) - this will not solve your problem.

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

pulseorganics wrote:I am based in Brighton, Sussex, England. Any recommendations?
The UK members of Too Much Coffee ("The European Coffee Resource") will be able to offer recommendations.
Dan Kehn

eastpresso

#10: Post by eastpresso »

E-mail sent.

Good Luck!