New Elektra A3 owner! Pics of setup inside

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
GewoW

#1: Post by GewoW »

Oh wow where to start! If anyone remembers, I was in here a few months ago asking which super-automatic espresso machine would be good for me. I thought to myself that, knowing me, a semi will not work out because the novelty will wear off a few weeks after I buy one, and then I would stop using it because it would take too long to prepare a drink. So I ended up ignoring the semi-automatic route, and focused on the super-auto. I actually did buy what I thought was one of the better super-autos: the Gaggia Titanium Plus. As far as super-autos go, this one's pretty good, but if was still complete garbage! So I took the 20% loss and returned it.

Here's the piece of crap (i mean...super-auto)

I then started to think about how to proceed. I thought to myself that anything is better than a super-auto, and wanted something cheap, so I looked into getting a Silvia V3 + a Compak K3 grinder. I then read up on it and realized that everyone says it is a machine that kills you if you make mistakes, and so I decided I didn't want the headache.

Then I realized that it would be great having a machine that would be able to brew/steam at the same time or very shortly after. I looked into HX machines (I hate you H-B.com!). If you remember, I posted about these, trying to decide which one was best. I then decided that it would be safer to buy something local, as I would have easy access to repairs and such, and realized that there weren't many options short of an old version of an Andreja Premium (I won't get into that...). So I looked around some more, and found a place that was selling a Nuova Simonelli Appia. As great as it was, it didn't look too hot (no offense). I then stumbled upon a store that sold, well...Elektras! I asked the guy what the price would be for an A3, knowing the going price is ~ 4500$ US. I was never expecting the answer!

I gave it some though, and realized that this was actually a great option because:
1- it's an A3...
2- it was not that much more than some other HXs sold in Montreal
3- gigantic boiler and amazing temperature stability which is good because I would require 2-3 lattes/cappuccinos at a time
4- i got a free 300$ water softener
5- i got free home installation!

So, I got it!

It came in on Friday the 20th, which just happened to be my birthday and the day I finished a giant 14 credit 8 week unit in school and had a very free weekend to relax! How lucky is this...

So I basically just got acquainted to it on that day, and on Saturday, I went to work!

This was the counter before the machine came in:

With the grinder being used for drip:

New machine - the proof!

Placed in temporary position:

Gotta get the grinder ready!!!!

Don't forget the coffee:

After some "remodelling":

This is not the final position. I plan on getting a mirror to put behind, so that the beautiful logo can be displayed, as well as a cable raceway to hide that hideous light cable.

Now, on to the coffee preparation. I am using the blend pictured above. This is because I have tasted it prepared from one of the best...Anthony Benda (2nd place Canadian barista) at his coffee shop in Montreal. I loved it, more so than Black Cat or Leftist. I also knew what it had to taste like, and thought it would be the best to train with. I got myself 5 lbs!

I tried many methods, and realized that channeling is quite an issue with this machine, even when not up-dosed. I used both a double and a triple basket, and was going back and forth on grind settings. I was also getting quite uneven extractions. I then tried the WDT, and well, you guys aren't lying when you say that it helps! It really did, but it still isn't perfect. I also use the side of an espresso saucer to distribute the grind, and create a groove that enables me to quickly and consistently get an 18-19g dose in a triple that does not touch the dispersion screen. I, of course, do this after the WDT.

I have a video of a pretty good extraction using the above methods. I flushed for 7-8 seconds past the water-dance and waited for 5 (had to work with one hand!). I believe that results in 198-200F, which is what Anthony suggested to me. The boiler pressure is very close to 1bar. The glass has a line at 1.5 oz. Here's the vid:

If anyone can comment on:
- distribution
- correct stopping time (even though quality is crap)
- what you think about the extraction
- tamping level
- any other tips...

I am finding the extractions just a bit bitter, which I am guessing is the temperature. I will experiment on this further. I guess my only complaint so far is the slightly large dead band of the Sirai, but it's too early to care! Either way, after having used 2 lbs, I'm happy for a day's work. I also learned how to make micro-foam and bastardized latte art...Time to enjoy the fruits of my labour!

Here are the results (after a sip!):

And of course, the spent puck:

Thanks guys for making me see the light! Prep takes barely 5 minutes with cleanup...even less than a latte takes with a super-auto!

wildbwilson

#2: Post by wildbwilson »

George, nice setup! I do say you've mastered the latte art thing very quickly. I have nothing to offer on your operating procedure as I know nothing about Elektras. What I am very curious about is the coffee you have from 49th P- I've never seen it before and I live down the street from them. I was out at the roasterie a couple of weeks back and there was no mention of this competition blend. What's the back story?
-Ian

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

George, great setup! I can't comment on your extraction until I taste it, so I will be up by lunchtime.

I note that you have lapped me in latte art already. :oops:
Scott
LMWDP #248

GewoW (original poster)

#4: Post by GewoW (original poster) »

wildbwilson wrote:George, nice setup! I do say you've mastered the latte art thing very quickly. I have nothing to offer on your operating procedure as I know nothing about Elektras. What I am very curious about is the coffee you have from 49th P- I've never seen it before and I live down the street from them. I was out at the roasterie a couple of weeks back and there was no mention of this competition blend. What's the back story?
-Ian
Hey guys, thanks for the comments! The coffee was developed by Myriade (coffee shop here) and 49th parallel for Anthony Benda's Canadian Batista competition day. It's a blend of 2 beans, I forget which ones, but I'll find you his CBC vid where he mentions it (when I get on my computer). They're still serving Epic at their coffee shop but served this blend for a few weeks. They sell it and are now planning and trying to be able and serve it as their house blend all the time.

GewoW (original poster)

#5: Post by GewoW (original poster) »

The vid's here:
«missing video»

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

The A3 and T1 heat like a rocket. They are best with little to no rebound time between the flush and pull. Dont get discouraged, it takes time. You should not see a screen impression in the puck. The Elektra line does not work well updosed, they all need headspace due to the design of the group bell. I have found that a low dose, light tamp and fine grind works best for me. Give it some time and practice. It takes a few months to get consistent but you should be enjoying decent shots in just a few days. Bitter shots could symptoms of to high a temperature or channeling. Try extending your flush another 2 seconds and then pull your shot, no rebound time.
Dave Stephens

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

If you have not seen it, you may want to look at the Dialing in a new espresso machine a step by step guide. That documents my first days with the A3.
Dave Stephens

GewoW (original poster)

#8: Post by GewoW (original poster) »

Thanks Dave. I had read that thread before I got the machine. I may re-read it again to refresh my memory. Lately my pucks have no impression on them, and I also am getting quite a bit less channeling. The shots aren't as sweet as I remember having, so I have to see what's happening. Any opinions?

I pull the shot immediately after flushing. I just waited 5 seconds because I had to do everything with 1 hand when filming. I have varied the flushes from 6-10 secs after the water dance, and it seems like it tastes a little less bitter after 10. I'll be experimenting a little more, but the main thing I need to focus on is the grind/distribution/tamp before anything else, because I sometimes get variability from 18-30 secs before blonding within the same grind setting...i.e. I need to distribute a little better. My tamp is now perfectly even though.

JmanEspresso

#9: Post by JmanEspresso »

Oh I really like the setup!!

I am one of the many who love the way the Elektra Sixties look. They're just beautiful looking machines, plain and simple!

I think you are going to be MUCH happier with the A3 then with the SuperAuto. ENjoy!!

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

Do you have a scale? With swings in extraction that large, you dose is probably off by over a gram. Pick yourself up a cheap 0.1 gram scale and weigh your doses to start with. If all things remain the same (same day, same coffee, no stale coffee in the grinder chute, same grind setting) and your speed varies by more than 2 seconds your dose is most likely the cause. It does not take much to make a big change. Also, your coffee may work best as a restretto, try grinding just a touch finer and shoot for 1.25 ounces in around 30 seconds. Just guessing, never used 49th's offerings but a lot of shops are pulling 1.5 ounce shots from 20 grams of coffee now a days. You have to use the tipple basket in the Elektra to get that, the double basket will run around 14-16 grams max depending on the coffee.
Dave Stephens