New ECM Classika II PID and S-Automatik 64 DIALED IN

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
stevenj24k

#1: Post by stevenj24k »

Hi all, relatively new to the site, but lurking for a while. Finally upgraded to a higher end set up about a month ago, and am happy to report I couldn't be happier. Mostly a double-shot espresso guy, so was looking for a good single boiler that didn't break the bank. Decided on the ECM. Originally went with a Fiorenzato grinder, but ultimately switched it out to the ECM as well. Found it to be a better match, and also just a better grinder (at least for me). It's taken a few weeks to figure out all the particulars and adjustments, but am happy to report now have it all dialed in to a really sweet spot, and could not be happier. If anyone has any particular questions about the machine or grinder, am happy to share my impressions. I'm definitely not an expert, but would be glad to give my 2 cents (for what it's worth). Anyway, just wanted to report in case anyone considering ECM machines. Here's a quick iphone snap of the setup. And thanks to all for the incredible amount of info on this site.

Advertisement
Renovator

#2: Post by Renovator »

Gorgeous.

Nicely done.
It's hard to believe there could be better coffee, but I'll give it a shot.

marlodmb

#3: Post by marlodmb »

Here is mine!! Upgrading the Sette 270 to a monolith when they become available for pre-order. You using Celsius or Fahrenheit?

stevenj24k (original poster)

#4: Post by stevenj24k (original poster) »

Fahrenheit for me. 200 degrees typically.

robertw

#5: Post by robertw »

I have a Classika as well and love it too. One minor problem I notice is the shot timer sometimes would not stay on for an extra 2-3 sec. This happens only once in a while. Have you noticed the same thing? Not a big problem, just curious if it is a common phenomenon.

I pair it with Baratza Vario-W. Looking to upgrade in the near future. Not unhappy with Vario-W, it is just an old machine(~6/7 yrs old). May consider S-Auto 64. Where did you get your? Thanks,

stevenj24k (original poster)

#6: Post by stevenj24k (original poster) »

only place i could find the ECM grinder was from whole latte love in rochester, ny

Floydpink

#7: Post by Floydpink »

I recently replaced an old HX machine with the Classika after a TON of researching different machines.

I almost went with the Profitec pro 500 but settled for this.

I rarely pull shots for anyone other than myself and occasionally make milk drinks.

the build quality, PID and timer, and smaller footprint on my counter were the selling points, not to mention a very good price.

I love simplicity and quality, and one look at the inside and lack of plastic make me think that when the time comes to service it, It won't be too hard.

Mine is the Clive Coffee edition and other than the joystick steamer, I am not sure what else is different, if anything.

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

I rarely pull shots for anyone other than myself and occasionally make milk drinks.
Then, you made a good choice but just remember to flush several ounces of water after those occasional milk drinks because the grouphead gets rather hot in steaming mode.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Floydpink

#9: Post by Floydpink replying to erics »

That has been the hardest thing to remember since making the change.

I've also shortened the wait time for the boiler to heat up to steam temp by hitting the steam switch as my espresso shot timer is about half way through the shot, which wasn't an issue with the HX machine.

It's about 30 seconds wait to go from 200 brew to 245 steam, although I'm still not set on those temperatures as optimal yet

Overall, the short warm up time, consistency with the PID, and overall ease of use seem to be worth it so far.

marlodmb

#10: Post by marlodmb »

Takes less time for me to get to 266 than for you to 245... :shock: