New Breville Dual Boiler update

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Simon345

#1: Post by Simon345 »

Has been a number of years since the BES920 came out. Does anyone have any insights as to when an updated model will be out or which features will be included in the next model?

aecletec

#2: Post by aecletec »

There's a post in a coffeesnobs thread indicating that private contact with the company yielded the opinion that it is a mature product unlikely to undergo further revisions.

Simon345 (original poster)

#3: Post by Simon345 (original poster) »

Not sure where that came from, but I very much doubt that Breville isn't planning updates to the 920.

They have certainly at least experimented with a Rotary pump dual boiler machine. Somebody please send me a shoe to munch on if they haven't updated to a new model dual boiler within 12 months.....

spearfish25

#4: Post by spearfish25 replying to Simon345 »

I have to agree. Large consumer item companies thrive on making cosmetic and minor changes to products year after year in order to sell more items. I'd bet they facelift it and add a couple little features here or there.

LukeFlynn

#5: Post by LukeFlynn »

spearfish25 wrote:add a couple little features here or there.
*cough* *cough* more power behind the steam *cough*

I'm dreaming of a Breville machine with the temperature stability of the current BDB, a rotary pump, and a REALLY powerful steamer, for an affordable price. :D

Zanderfy

#6: Post by Zanderfy »

We can all dream, can't we? I recall reading somewhere that Phil McKnight spec'd the steam pressure at 2.0 bar, at least on the 920...doesn't really explain why it's relatively anemic. Still waiting for a brave 920 user to try the Vivaldi steam tip at max steam boiler temperature :lol:

spearfish25

#7: Post by spearfish25 »

Honestly I think the boiler volume is far more important than the pressure. If you make a 100cc boiler have 2bar of pressure, it will plummet the moment the valve opens. But a 1.5 bar 5 liter boiler will rip out 1.5 bar for a considerably longer time.

aecletec

#8: Post by aecletec »

Bret

#9: Post by Bret »

I received a vivaldi steam tip in the mail today. Will probably try it out this weekend. But adjusting the steam temp to the maximum on the 920 easily handles 6-8oz, and outperforms the 900.

I'm curious to see how the vivaldi tip handles larger volumes of milk, which would help when I have guests. But for my own use, and even with just one or two guests, the current tip is just fine.

Zanderfy

#10: Post by Zanderfy »

Eagerly awaiting Bret's findings... :D