Need help troubleshooting Isomac Rituale

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
xcoffe

#1: Post by xcoffe »

I just bought a used Isomac Rituale, and it's not working. I'm trying to see if it's a simple fix before attempting to return this machine.

So the issue is that when I engage the brewing lever, no water comes out the brew head, so I thought maybe the pump is broken. But when I turn on the water wand after draining water for a while, the pump automatically engages to fill the boiler. Can some knowledgeable guru help me identify the problem and perhaps walk me through a fix if it's relatively easy?

Video below demonstrates my problem. many thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CgVpRdCQyo

victoriacoffees

#2: Post by victoriacoffees »

Did you prime the pump per instructions? This may be the issue.

Someone else just posted a similar question and there was a response with a link on how to prime the pump on a new machine.

edit: here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtI-uk8orDk
John V.

Advertisement
xcoffe (original poster)

#3: Post by xcoffe (original poster) »

thanks.

well, new problem, can't even turn on the machine now... :|
power switch does nothing, is there anywhere I can find the info on the main switch wiring? I'm thinking about just short it and see if it turns on.

victoriacoffees

#4: Post by victoriacoffees »

I'm not familiar with this machine but maybe you popped the safety switch (best case scenario) and need to "reset" it.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will guide you in the right direction.
John V.

2StrokeBloke

#5: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

I had an Isomac Millenium. There was a switch installed under the water reservoir that killed power if there was no water in the water tank. The switch was old and the plastic very brittle from the heat cycling and age. My guess is this switch is 'open' and not registering the full tank of water, or broken and thus not allowing power. You might have to remove the sides to get at the switch for a closer look. New switches are available from online vendors.

No water thru the brew head might be a scale clogged screen above the mushroom in the group head, or a severely clogged shower screen (dispersion screen) at the bottom of the brew head. Coffee grounds and oils can completely impede water flow thru this screen. Turn the machine upside down and have a good look into the group head/dispersion screen. If it looks clean, you should still remove it and give it a good cleaning. Doing this will mean you must also remove and likely replace the group gasket. Cheap parts and easily found online.

earlgrey_44

#6: Post by earlgrey_44 »

I can't see what you're doing with the water valve - are you just opening it a little and shutting it off right away? There should be a big jet of steam and hot water but you are only getting a dribble which makes me worry that there may not be much water in the boiler and you are in danger of frying the heating element.

The switch under the tank would indeed shut the whole thing down if it was busted, but the one that is activated by the brew lever (see the button on the front panel behind the brew lever cam?) should also be checked - it might be broken too for the reasons stated upthread.

If you want to open up the machine, I'd check water level (with the machine unplugged!) and those switches, then go from there.
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

xcoffe (original poster)

#7: Post by xcoffe (original poster) »

OK I've identified the problem, it's the main switch that's faulty. Apparently not only the main power, but pump engagement for brewing is also connected to this switch(DPDT?). So in the video I posted, the switch was just semi dead, the power connectors were connected when switched on, but the pump connectors on the switch were not passing current. Later the whole switch just died. I've temporarily shorted the switch and using a dedicated power strip with on/off to control the machine atm.

Just brewed myself a cup of coffee, tasted pretty good! but not as good as the best shot I've made using Silvia. One thing I've noticed is that when I try to do the grouphead flush after ~45min of warmup time, I could barely hear any steaming sound coming out of the grouphead, maybe very very vaguely. Could this be an indication of partially blocked grouphead?

I've already used Cafiza to back flush the grouphead, so here are few questions: should I consider descale and/or take apart the group head for a more thorough cleaning? Could someone point me to the right direction for taking apart the group head? thanks!

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

You can use this drawing as a troubleshooting guide . . . your wiring should be similar . . . not necessarily identical.

Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

Could someone point me to the right direction for taking apart the group head? thanks!
Use this site's search engine. For example: search.php?keywords=E-61+grouphead&term ... t=0&ch=300
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

xcoffe (original poster)

#10: Post by xcoffe (original poster) »

thanks! searched but still haven't found a way to remove the dispersion screen yet. mine is the one without the outside groove, when I try to pry the inner disc on the dispersion screen, the disc itself is peeling away from the dispersion screen. any idea?