Need help swapping steam tips on ECM Technika. - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kwantfm

#11: Post by kwantfm »

Pretty funny... I actually bought the Steam Knife as well as a full GB5 steam wand so that I could replace the whole assembly. When the tip got here I found that it just went on! Of course this was about halfway through disassembling everything.
LMWDP #602

M Diddy (original poster)

#12: Post by M Diddy (original poster) »

kwantfm wrote:I use the Steam Knife tip... it went straight on the stock ECM Technika steam wand. Love it.
Good God! Does that thing really cost 100.00 dollars?????

http://www.espressoparts.com/EP_TX_FOAMKNIFE1

braekk

#13: Post by braekk »

M Diddy wrote:Eric,

Trust me, it defineitly is a clock wise turn to get the tip to come off. Pretty much the reason why I could not get it off the wand for the life of me. From every post I've seen, it's always said counter-clockwise to remove. Not the case with the ECM.
I have an ECM Technika Profi IV. Mine is counter-clockwise. Weird...

damonbowe

#14: Post by damonbowe »

I decided to give the $100 Sproline steam knife tip a shot (from espressoparts.com). Holy cow, it's pretty much on par with a Strada, maybe faster than the four hole tip they use. It's faster than the Nuova Simonelli competition machines. It's fast and puts out some serious power.

Not a lot else to report here other than background info. My previous tip was only a two hole tip and it steamed enough milk for a latte (large Not Neutral cup) in about 30-35 seconds. This is about 10 seconds faster than what Dan reported in his ECM Technika review, which might be interesting to some people --I don't actually measure the milk and Dan probably did. My method is to put enough milk in the pitcher so that it's just under the indention for the spout. This is what I learned to do from Counter Culture, Cuvee, Madcap, Intelli, and a few other classes I've gone to. I've done a lot of classes, it's true.

Anyway, it's not a necessary accessory but it will get the job done if you want more steam power. And you don't need to buy anything else...it screws right on without having to change your steam wand arm. I guess you can consider buying a new gasket but you don't need to, or I didn't need to. It would probably work without a gasket at all, to be honest.

Anyway, happy frothing.

damonbowe

#15: Post by damonbowe »

braekk wrote:I have an ECM Technika Profi IV. Mine is counter-clockwise. Weird...
Eric was correct, the other poster is just mixing up the directions because of the downward facing angle.