Need help firing up 96 Elektra La Deliziosa please!!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
angrylobster

#1: Post by angrylobster »

Okay, new to the forum and know nothing about espresso machines, so please excuse my ignorance in advance! Picked up a 1996 Elektra La Deliziosa yesterday. Haven't got water hooked up yet, but I already have concerns. First is, when I turn the unit on, the lights on the keypad cycle, lamp at top illuminates and shortly thereafter, it makes what seems to me to be a much too loud humming noise?? Second is, when I put some air pressure on the water line, I can see what appears to be a leak coming from the manifold end? on the right side of the machine (when you're standing in front of it), right at the base of the side cover. Any info on how this machine should be acting upon start up would greatly be appreciated. I intend to get water hooked up tomorrow, with some further diagnosis, of course.... Thanks to all in advance!

Mouldy

#2: Post by Mouldy »

Hi there,

Some photos of your machine including problem areas described should help others be able to assist.

Until then, I suggest not turning on the machine if it is not connected to water supply, as if there is minimal or no water in the boiler and you turn it on, then the heating element could be damaged or destroyed. Not sure if your model has an element protection device like some more modern Elektra's, but strongly suggest to not turn it on unless you are sure there is an appropriate amount if water in the boiler (i.e at least covering the heating element).

If need be you can manually fill (assuming boiler is cold and has no pressure) by removing either the vacuum breaker or pressure relief valve and filling through either one of those into the boiler using a small funnel, but be careful not to overfill. Obviously ensure the machine is not plugged in and that all power disconnected before you do anything.

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Could be a million things, or all million. When you power it up the level sensor in the boiler will call for water. The boiler fill solenoid could be buzzing, your pump could be frozen and buzzing, the heating element which is not in water could be buzzing and blowing up.
Dave Stephens

angrylobster (original poster)

#4: Post by angrylobster (original poster) »

Update: Got water hooked up and pump body leaked considerably. I'm sure this machine was stored in severe temps, causing it to freeze and blow out the pump. I'm going to test the motor and heating element next (with water), but need a good source for the pump replacement. Any info would be appreciated. Have photos, but haven't figured out how to get them uploaded yet. Thx!

pazzo

#5: Post by pazzo »

This is the guy ---> http://www.espressocare.com/
His name is Stefano and would be able to supply parts for your Elektra.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

angrylobster wrote:Have photos, but haven't figured out how to get them uploaded yet. Thx!
Here's how to upload photos.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

angrylobster (original poster)

#7: Post by angrylobster (original poster) »

Update: Removed old pump and have a new one on the way! Motor fired up no problem with pump off, so shouldn't be any issues there. Put enough water in the tank to get the fill light to go off and then tested the heating element. It works! As soon as pump arrives, I'll get everything plumbed in and try it again!