Need a bit of advice with problematic espresso...

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JorgeM1402

#1: Post by JorgeM1402 »

Hi,

Recently I have been having problems with my de'longhi treviso espresso machine. Now I understand that it is a cheap machine, but I've had some great shots from it. However, fairly recently I have been unable to get a good crema. The extraction time is spot on, in that a double shot will take 25-30s, but it blonds early, and it is basically thin and black with a slight crema ring round the outside and and maybe a thin swirl in the middle which will go away quickly.

I use the KG79 grinder, and as far as I can tell the grind is fine enough, the same as I always used. With my last batch of beans I assumed they were stale, because the extraction time would not change regardless of whether I went slightly finer or coarser, and then I replaced the beans and got an amazing shot. However, I have been unable to replicate that, which was a couple of weeks ago.

I'm thinking that it may be a problem with the actual machine now, if it is blocked up or not getting hot enough or something. If I just let it run without a portafilter or anything it tends to have one thin constant stream of water, surrounded by lots of dripping.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions,

Thanks,

Jorge

JorgeM1402 (original poster)

#2: Post by JorgeM1402 (original poster) »

bump

Bodka Coffee

#3: Post by Bodka Coffee »

After your amazing shot, how long before you tried again? How are you storing beans? It sounds like it could be a bean freshness issue.

kize

#4: Post by kize replying to Bodka Coffee »

The post I read stated two weeks from the "good shot ". Depending on how old the fresh beans are when you purchase them and how they are stored. Two weeks out could mean stale, unusable beans to poor quality sbots

JorgeM1402 (original poster)

#5: Post by JorgeM1402 (original poster) »

I did replace them with some new ones and try again, but to no avail. Unless the beans I am buying are stale when I get them, then I think it may be something else.