Mypressi Twist

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sweaner

#1: Post by sweaner »

Has anyone seen this device? It looks like a Handpresso on steroids.
http://www.mypressi.com/
Scott
LMWDP #248

ddr

#2: Post by ddr »

That looks cool. Since I can't see where the pressure is coming from, and I hear a hiss at the end of the extraction I suspect a little CO₂ cartridge. I will have to look into this.
Dan
LMWDP #242

PeterG

#3: Post by PeterG »

This little device was my favorite thing at the SCAA Expo!!

It's a portafilter that has room for a Carbon Dioxide or Nitrous Oxide cartridge (like you use in soda syphons or whipped cream makers) in the handle, along with a pressure regulator.

A little insulated snorkel conducts the pressurized gas to the top of the dome, above the dispersion screen/coffee. It produces 9 bars per pull of the trigger, you get 4 pulls per cartridge. As you can see in the video, you put in the water, so theoretically you could control the temperature of the water with some accuracy (I reckon you'd have to account for temperature loss by the cast aluminum dome and the cold gas coming in the snorkel)

The espresso is quite good, better than most home machines I have ever tried. I can't wait to try it out with my own coffee and temp-controlled water. The portafilter diameter is small, (53mm I think) but I can deal with that.

I like it.

Peter
counter culture coffee

sweaner (original poster)

#4: Post by sweaner (original poster) »

Do you know how much it will cost?
Scott
LMWDP #248

Jepy

#5: Post by Jepy »

I agree with PeterG on this, as it was the coolest thing at the show. They were grinding with what looked like a Robur, and the pulls looked very good. The only down side was when I asked what to use for grinding when you want to be portable, they said "grind it at home at take it with you". Not a chance...

IMAWriter

#6: Post by IMAWriter replying to Jepy »

I ran into Chris Nachtrieb at the show, and he thought it sort of cool also.
Enjoyed speaking with him i person, for a change.
The device seems like a natural fit for a hand grinder, while on the road.

ddr

#7: Post by ddr »

sweaner wrote:Do you know how much it will cost?
I checked the web site. $129 (although there is a box to type in a discount code).
Dan
LMWDP #242

networkcrasher

#8: Post by networkcrasher »

IMAWriter wrote:I ran into Chris Nachtrieb at the show, and he thought it sort of cool also.
Enjoyed speaking with him i person, for a change.
The device seems like a natural fit for a hand grinder, while on the road.
Geez, Chris was there, too? Damn, I missed speaking to just about everyone. I'm so lost in this world... :roll:

I have some pics of this thing, and it was really cool... Not the coolest thing I saw, but it ranked up there.

cafeIKE

#9: Post by cafeIKE »

ddr wrote:That looks cool. Since I can't see where the pressure is coming from, and I hear a hiss at the end of the extraction I suspect a little CO(darn, I don't know the ALT code for subscript)2 cartridge. I will have to look into this.
Select the Small 2 for CO2 or Tiny font2 for CO2
[The Font drop down is the box after URL in the post edit window ]

Alan Frew

#10: Post by Alan Frew »

sweaner wrote:Has anyone seen this device? It looks like a Handpresso on steroids.
Found it second hour of first day (Friday) and they were severely underdosing the 53mm baskets. Note the way the pours converge inward due to surface tension. After some discussion watched while they dosed correctly (young lady filling the baskets was definitely not a barista) and got an excellent pour, slightly underextracted due to temperature issues but reasonable colour, tiger striping, good viscosity and excellent taste. Better than the espresso I got from "The Slayer", FWIW.

It's the CONCEPT that excites me, though. Enclosed, fixed dose water chamber. Potential for temperature control within the chamber. Potential to control/adjust brew pressure. You could hook it up to an air compressor rather than gas cartridges. The domed water chamber reminds me of a cylinder head, imagine a DOHC espresso machine with water injection on one stroke and gas injection on the next, multiple groups etc. etc. Be the first to buy the all new V-12 alloy head LM! Unfortunately they wouldn't let me take a photo of the complex valve system that regulates the pressure, but I'm sure pictures will pop up soon.

I don't know how many people remember the ill-fated Versalab espresso machine, but this could be the start of a whole new machine paradigm. Gas groups, anyone?

Alan