Mypressi is definitely back in business - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Bob_McBob

#11: Post by Bob_McBob »

I think I would be significantly more interested in a portable hand pump recharge method if it's feasible and not too expensive. Being able to travel with the Twist without having to worry about gas charging is probably the #1 reason I'd be interested in buying one.
Chris

lubes17319

#12: Post by lubes17319 »

Glad to have you back in biz!

I will definitely will be doing the swap out of those pesky internals for $25! :D
The only problem is that this is our only coffee unit, meaning there will be a few days w/out our daily caffeine intake. Gonna be tuff, but worth it.

spressomon

#13: Post by spressomon »

Glad to hear you are back in business Stephen! After a camping foray next week I'll be taking advantage of the $25 refurb! The customer service I've experienced from you and your organization is right at the top within any product marketplace! Having this high of a regard for customers undoubtedly taxed your short term profits...but I think you've earned the trust of many for long term success.

Cheers,

Dan
No Espresso = Depresso

espressme

#14: Post by espressme »

I am glad you are back! The Twist is my away machine!
Thank you!
~Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

mypressi (original poster)

#15: Post by mypressi (original poster) »

This is a "kitchen table" prototype of a mypressi TWIST endcap adapted to include a gas fill nipple. I put it together this weekend. It does look a bit rough, but the next proto will be machined and finished off nicely. More importantly, it works.

This endcap lets the mypressi TWIST operate off the larger CO2 gas cylinders. A 20 oz tank will provide 400 to 600 shots at a cost of just a few cents per shot, not including the capital costs of the tank and the fill line, although you could put together a suitable setup for $60 including the fill line and needle valve for the tank, and there are all sort of great online deals for these that are much less expensive.

The endcap includes a check valve so that you can fill it, detach it from the tank and pull the shot just like normal. And yes, this is how I made my morning coffee. :)

Currently looking at ways to manage a "liquid fill" so that the setup provides the same number of shots when detached as a standard cartridge. It's doable, but care needs to be taken to not overfill the cartridge and this may not be as simple as a gas fill.

The interesting thing is that this endcap also works with HPA (high-pressure air) tanks, providing a completely green mypressi setup. Whereas the CO2 tank can operate at normal pressure, the HPA tank will need a pressure regulator operating down to the 800-1000 psi level (from its 3000-4500 psi) before it enters the end cap.

The advantage of HPA is that it costs next to nothing to fill the tanks (it is just air, after all), and it is a totally green solution. HPA tanks are 3 to 4 times the cost of CO2 tanks, but they are now used extensively in paintballing so there are many suppliers and retail outlets driving the prices down.

I can't advise on the retail cost of these adapted endcaps until we've got the manufacturing procedure worked out, but I'd estimate around $65.

There are no other changes required internally, so the TWIST will still work with the normal endcap and gas cartridges when the larger cylinder isn't handy.

Welcome any thoughts on this.

wreckfish

#16: Post by wreckfish »

You really are back in business! Thanks for posting this work in progress. Looks promising. I mostly use mine for travel (by air) so am most interested in the airo(?) for refilling the small cartridges- but I see how this system is very appealing to others. Thanks for including us in the prototyping process.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by yakster »

Wow, pretty neat.

Someone might be able to justify a CO2 system to pressurize the MyPressi Twist, carbonate water, and maybe carbonate small batches of beer or mead.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

openeyes

#18: Post by openeyes »

Speaking of high pressure air use, would it be doable to make use of something like a standard bicycle pump for air travel? Maybe a shock pump.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#19: Post by jbviau »

Mypressi's site seems to be down [again]. Just a temporary lull?

Edit: back up this morning. New Twists are listed as sold out, but the reconditioned ones are still in stock.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

blueboyz

#20: Post by blueboyz »

I second that; a portable hand pump would be far the best solution like the Rossa AirE; looking forward to this development very much!
Bob_McBob wrote:I think I would be significantly more interested in a portable hand pump recharge method if it's feasible and not too expensive. Being able to travel with the Twist without having to worry about gas charging is probably the #1 reason I'd be interested in buying one.