My (ongoing) experience with a "new" used Rancilio Epoca!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
gegtik

#1: Post by gegtik »

Hi everyone,

I've just purchased an Epoca off Craigslist, and now that it's home and monopolizing a significant portion of my counter, I'd like to have it running in top shape.

Open Question:
The very first thing i noticed is that the steam arm hangs completely limp. I've taken a picture of the spot where it screws into the machine, and what it looks like when removed.

----

I'll be asking your advice again before long!
If anyone has any particular requests for pics of the machine please let me know

gegtik (original poster)

#2: Post by gegtik (original poster) »

Could it be that I am missing the spring + spring seat?

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_411

Advertisement
gegtik (original poster)

#3: Post by gegtik (original poster) »

So earlier this afternoon I pulled off the grouphead showerscreen to see how the previous owner felt about regular maintenance.

He wasn't a fan.

some scrubbing.. (yuck)..

and the grouphead was looking better (I removed the old, hardening gasket here)

add a new gasket and we're set

Even after this cleaning, the next couple of detergent backflushes were pretty nasty.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by uscfroadie »

gegtik wrote:Could it be that I am missing the spring + spring seat?

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_411
Yep, without a doubt you should have those pieces. They provide tension on the ball of the steam arm.
gegtik wrote:Even after this cleaning, the next couple of detergent backflushes were pretty nasty.
And they will be until the discharge path (path the water follows when you end the shot) gets cleaned. Whatever you do, do not use too much cleaner as it can gunk up and block the path. Follow the instructions for whatever cleaner you are using and just backflush throughout the day. It'll get to where the discharge is spotless if you keep at it.
Merle

gegtik (original poster)

#5: Post by gegtik (original poster) »

Another question:

I've noticed that the screw for the shower screen is really tall, the screw head extends really deep which in turn limits the dose size for my PF basket.
Should I just replace it with a flatter screw? I seem to remember the silvia having a vert low-profile screw for some reason

coffee.me

#6: Post by coffee.me »

gegtik wrote:I've noticed that the screw for the shower screen is really tall, the screw head extends really deep which in turn limits the dose size for my PF basket.
Should I just replace it with a flatter screw?
You don't have to, but you can if you want to have a more choices with baskets and doses. I bought my replacement screws from an online shop that sells metric screws for European cars, I recall I got there from a post on CG but I don't recall what the website was now, sorry.
"Beans before machines" --coffee.me ;-)