My First Rebuild - Astoria Agenta 2 group - Water Pressure?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
HYSTERESIS

#1: Post by HYSTERESIS »

Hi everyone,
Mick here from Cairns, Australia.
I have an Astoria 2 group machine which I am rebuilding for my wife.
I have so far completly disassembled, descaled and stripped it. The frame has been sandblasted and repainted in Killrust black.
I am now reassembling the unit and I have a (very newbie) question:
We have a tad over 7 bar mains water pressure, Is a pump still required? My Pressure gauge has a red arc from 8 to 9 bar and a red line at 12bar.
In my industry you don't want pointers in the red zone! Does that mean I need to be between 9 and 12 bar?

Cheers

Mouldy

#2: Post by Mouldy »

Howdy,

Yes you will need the pump. I'm not familiar with your machine, but looking at another Astoria Argenta rebuild on this site, it seems the Argenta is like many other machines which have the motor/pump inside the machine. Is yours there or are you missing it? Can you post a pic of the inside?
Although you have 7 bar mains pressure; you'll need the pump to enable you to reach around 9 bar or so during an extraction. I suspect the Argenta has a rotary vane pump, which will include an adjustment valve (on the pump) that enables you to adjust pump output pressure (ensure power is off before attempting this).
Your mains pressure is quite high so you should consider installing a pressure regulating valve on the water supply line to maintain supply pressure to a lower value. Mine is set to about 2.5 to 3 bar. There are also many comments on this forum about plumbing in, including regulating valves, filters/softeners etc which may be relevant depending on water quality in your area.
Good luck.

kize

#3: Post by kize »

yes- you will need the pump. It provides consistent pressure at your set point.
yes- you are correct- red usually means bad or caution. Pump recommended pressure should be 9-9.5 bars on average- but others have tried pressures outside that range with good to fair results.

HYSTERESIS (original poster)

#4: Post by HYSTERESIS (original poster) »

Thanks for the answer :)
My machine came with a pump but it leaks from the two small holes near where the motor attaches so i guess im up for a rebuild.
Here are some pics of the machine progress so far :