Mostly Steam Out of Hot Water Tap on Rancilio Epoca E1

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kajer

#1: Post by kajer »

Since I have claimed the used Epoca E1, whenever I use the hot water tap, mostly steam sputters out. Initial power up, it's all water for the first 2 seconds. After that for the duration the machine is on, I get some water and mostly steam out of the tap.

Any ideas?

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

If you just leave the water tap open for a long time does it continuously steam out or does it eventually go to water?

I believe this is a HX machine, so you are going to get steam coming out when you first open the valve at least and if you are getting a lot of steam before water you might want to check what your boiler pressure is set to. If it's pretty high it could be the cause.

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

The water tap is drawing water from the steam boiler. It will always sputter a mixture of steam and water. Some espresso machines have a mixing valve to reduce the temperature of water drawn from the steam boiler (e.g., La Marzocco GS/3).

If you're seeing almost nothing but steam, then the steam boiler water level may be too low (i.e., the pipe for the water tap extends only partially into the steam boiler to prevent it from draining the level below the heating element). I'm not familiar with that particular model, but on most espresso machines, you adjust the boiler water level by moving the sensor probe up/down. Chris' Coffee Service has a nice photo of one in How to properly replace a liquid level sensor probe?
Dan Kehn

kajer (original poster)

#4: Post by kajer (original poster) »

Good to know that it might be normal. I get water, but not a lot, it takes about 10 seconds to fill a mug, and pretty noisy at that.

I'll check the water level adjustment, it seems to spew more steam than water just before the pump kicks on.

Intrepid510

#5: Post by Intrepid510 »

Yeah what you are describing is normal, nothing to be worried. The hot water tap in your espresso machine is not going to be like a hot water spigot from a hot water tower. I never use mine, I just reach for the kettle.