Modding a Fiorenzato Bricoletta for a brew pressure gauge

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
hytsvl

#1: Post by hytsvl »

Hi everyone,
I want to install a brew pressure gauge to Fiorenzato Bricoletta. There is a gauge for boil on it but it would be nice to see brew pressure. I am planning an installation(see picture). Waiting your opinions.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

Did it on a VBM years ago. Lot of work and you cannot put it where you indicate in your drawing. The gauge has to go on the cold side of the hydraulics before it goes into the heat exchanger. Gauges are not rated for that kind of heat. You will have to create a new custom bent tune config, add a T, then drill and mount the gauge in the face of the machine and hook up a capillary line from the T to the gauge. Once you get it finished, you will use it 5 or 6 times. A portafilter mounted brew gauge for setting your brew pressure is much easier.
Dave Stephens

hytsvl (original poster)

#3: Post by hytsvl (original poster) replying to cannonfodder »

Thank you for your detailed info. But why will the gauge used 5 or 6 times?

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

To elaborate on Dave's comment, you can adjust the brew pressure with a portfilter-mounted gauge and it will be more accurate than a gauge tee'd into the line before the pump since there's a pressure differential pre and post-gicleur. During an extraction, an onboard brew pressure gauge doesn't convey much useful information (e.g., if the pressure drops enough to be seen on the gauge, you already know by observation of the pour itself that you have massive channeling). Hence his observation "Once you get it finished, you will use it 5 or 6 times."
Dan Kehn

hytsvl (original poster)

#5: Post by hytsvl (original poster) replying to HB »

I got it. I appreciate your wise answers.