Modbar - Modular Espresso System

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
damonbowe

#1: Post by damonbowe »

This looks pretty awesome and is within financial reach for people investing in Speedsters and GS/3s. It's also funded by La Marzocco. It has a 3-way actuated switch for pre-infusions. Seems really great to me.

http://sprudge.com/modbar.html

Is anyone ready to take the plunge? Looks like it's already installed in a few shops around the country. Counter Culture got the first one and I assume they have it in a transportable package since they brought it to SCAA.

In a search of HB forums I only saw a couple mentions on the SCAA reviews and one by another user which didn't receive any followup, so I thought it was worthwhile to foster more discussion.

beta14ok

#2: Post by beta14ok »

Where's the Barista gonna hide now?

Bob_McBob

#3: Post by Bob_McBob »

It certainly struck me as something I could see an HB member buying, given how much people are willing to shell out for specialty items like the LM shot brewer. $5400 for an espresso-only system that allows fully automatic pressure profiling with a gear pump and is ready in under 10 minutes is not too bad. $10000 for a full setup with steam is still half the price of a two group Strada EP, and probably a hell of a lot more welcome in a home kitchen. It is a very interesting concept.
Chris

damonbowe (original poster)

#4: Post by damonbowe (original poster) »

Definitely some install costs involved. But I'd rather have this than a swimming pool!

boar_d_laze

#5: Post by boar_d_laze »

Espresso + Steam + a plywood cabinet with a low end granite top and we're still in roughly the same price range as a 1 group Synesso Hydra, aren't we?

And, not to wander too far off topic, but... The look of the naked pf pour in the video made me feel a lot better about my own half-assed efforts.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

Needs some better sound insulation.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

damonbowe (original poster)

#7: Post by damonbowe (original poster) »

boar_d_laze wrote:And, not to wander too far off topic, but... The look of the naked pf pour in the video made me feel a lot better about my own half-assed efforts.
Lol!

Possepat

#8: Post by Possepat »

Shiny looking telephone
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

jonr

#9: Post by jonr »

I think it looks nice and has some good ideas. Now if they could make a more affordable home version

I like how the pump noise/power decreases at the end of the shot to prevent flow from increasing.

beer&mathematics

#10: Post by beer&mathematics »

IDK, it looks like a water faucet...I need something spicier like a KVdW Idrocompresso 8)
LMWDP #431