Metallic taste in steam from Expobar Office

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BruceR

#1: Post by BruceR »

Hi All

I recently upgraded from my Silvia to a used Expobar Office Leva. I'm still getting the hang of the flush times but the espresso has definitely been improved. I am however having a problem with steaming.

When I steam milk the steam imparts a quite unpleasant metallic taste to the milk. I drew some water from water wand and after cooling it too has the same unpleasant tang. I have tried the same with water from the group and there does not seem to be the same problem, or at least not to the same degree.

Following the advice of JimS on another thread I flushed the boiler with distilled water and while there does seem to be some improvement the problem is still there.

Given that the machine needed a rather thorough cleaning before use I figure a full descale is probably in order (next weekends project) however I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this before and whether or not this could actually be caused by scale?

Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Thanks

BruceR (original poster)

#2: Post by BruceR (original poster) »

Just to close this off for anyone who might come across this in future. On the weekend I opened the group head to check for scale prior to descaling and found almost no build up. Rather than descale unnecessarily I decided to try giving everything another thorough cleaning.

I removed the steam and hot water wands and soaked them in cleaning solution. I also flushed about two reservoirs worth of water through the boiler. This seems to have solved the problem and the milk is tasting much better now.

mauijer

#3: Post by mauijer »

Thanks for the update. I have a Quickmill Silvano and it has the same problem. It's new out of the box so no scale. I also only use Smart Water or Dasani. Ill try the cleaning solution and see if it improves as well.