Maximum steam pressure/temperature on Quickmill Vetrano 2B

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ruthlessaz

#1: Post by ruthlessaz »

Hi all,

I am looking for some expert advice and assistance with my Vetrano 2b machine. I have been trying to get a straight answer, but cannot seem to get any real information.

The online manual for the V2B states the default steam boiler temp/pressure is 263F at 1.7 bar. The gauge is green from 1 bar to 1.4 bar, beyond that is in the red zone on the gauge.

My V2B came with the steam boiler set at 255/1.4 bar which is right at the end of the "green"/zone.

My question is this, can I run the V2B at 1.7 bar, will it damage the machine if it is in the red zone holding at 1.7 bar? Why does the manual state one thing, and the machine came different?

The gist of it is this: can I up the pressure, if so, how high can it go safely, and what type of damage can be caused if its too high? The steam pressure drops with the stock 4 hole tip, and it drops fast, to about .5bar

Thanks everyone!!

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Bill33525 »

This subject was recently discussed at length, the 4 hole tip is a bit big for the boiler. Check with C.C. for recommendations on max pressure. I use the 2 hole tip and open the valve just enough to get a swirl going. You will notice that when the tip is submerged in a liquid the pressure does not drop as much.
Hope this helps.

Quickmill Vetrano 2b steam pressure drop with 4 hole tip

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

The maximum steam pressure is whatever the manufacturer certifies for the boiler (e.g., 2.0 bar) and the setting of the safety pressure relief valve. I've tested a lot of new espresso machines and some manufacturers will include a certificate of the pressure test in the original packaging. That said, I personally would not set the steam boiler outside of the "green" zone on the gauge; an upper bound of 1.4 bar sounds about right since most safety pressure relief valves open at 1.6 bar.

If the steam boiler pressure exceeds the safety pressure relief valve setpoint, steam and water will be released into the interior of your espresso machine, potentially damaging sensitive and expensive electronic components. While that's better than the alternative (an explosion), I recommend keeping the maximum steam boiler at 1.4 bar. If you want to increase the "oomph" of the steam, you could try raising the water level. The steam will be wetter, but since the steam area is smaller, the pressure will drop less under load. Or you can switch to a slower steam tip as Bill suggests.
Dan Kehn

ruthlessaz (original poster)

#4: Post by ruthlessaz (original poster) »

Yeah, exactly. I have used several tips, I love the steam on the machine but want to be able to have the steam not drop so much, and of course I look at the gauge when I'm steaming milk.

What I want to know is, is why the manual has default at 1.7 bar when that's right in the middle of the red, and if using default will cause damage.

#5: Post by ruthlessaz (original poster) »

So I had downloaded the manual when I got the machine, and I just downloaded it again. Funny thing is, it changed! Now it says default is 255, however later in the manual it states steam pressure should be 1.2 to 1.7 bar

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

ruthlessaz wrote:What I want to know is, is why the manual has default at 1.7 bar when that's right in the middle of the red, and if using default will cause damage.
If the manual and the gauge markings don't agree, ask one of Chris' Coffee service techs for confirmation (they will know the setpoint of the safety release valve or can easily look it up). I'm betting the maximum steam pressure indication on the gauge is correct. For what it's worth, La Marzocco steam pressure gauges have higher maximum marks than I've seen on prosumer espresso machines:

From La Marzocco GS3 gauge markings

Bill Crossland goes on to say:
Billc wrote:Runaro,
I am the one that created the manual. When we first designed the GS3 we were using some stock, off the shelf, gauges. They actually did not have any colors on them. Not sure of the exact serial number but at sometime we designed some custom gauges with the LM logo and some colors.

The machine is definitely OK to use at 2bar pressure in the steam boiler. The over pressure valve is set to open at over 2.5 bar.

BillC
I have a La Marzocco Strada and it has a red tick mark at 2.0 bar.
ruthlessaz wrote:So I had downloaded the manual when I got the machine, and I just downloaded it again. Funny thing is, it changed!
Maybe they read this thread. :lol:
Dan Kehn

#7: Post by ruthlessaz (original poster) »

Lol doubt it.

I had downloaded the manual and had it saved on my phone, so they must have changed it within the last couple months

Their website also had the steam boiler wattage as 1400 when it was 1100. They changed that as well.

It is what it is.