Magister Stella E61 - Significant drop in grouphead temperature

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
someguy12

#1: Post by someguy12 »

Hi all,

I recently had to unplug my machine for an extended period of time (3 weeks). When I plugged it back on, everything was working fine except for the grouphead temperature. Before I unplugged the machine, it would idle at around 210 F. Now it hovers around 194 F.

Any obvious culprits?

Thanks for your time!

keno

#2: Post by keno »

Best guess at this point would probably be thermosyphon stall due to a small leak. If air gets in the thermosyphon it will not circulate properly and not heat up fully. Try flushing a bunch of water through the group head and then see if that helps.

Or if you've already done that second guess would be a piece of scale broke off and is clogging the thermosyphon somewhere (usually at a restrictor if your machine has one). Solution in that case would be disassembling and cleaning out the tubes.

Eric S is the machine authority on HB. I'm sure he can help you figure this out.

keno

#3: Post by keno »

One other possibility is vapor lock, caused by a stuck vacuum breaker. Open the steam wand as the machine heats up to vent it and see if it then heats up to its full temperature.

someguy12 (original poster)

#4: Post by someguy12 (original poster) »

Thank you very much sir!

It was indeed a vapor lock. I opened it up and right after the machine reached a nice and steady 210 F.

Thanks for taking the time. :D

keno

#5: Post by keno replying to someguy12 »

Glad I could help!

If the problem persists you may need to manually unstick it. And if it keeps happening again you should check with the machine manufucturer or dealer, as that would be indicative of a defective vacuum breaker (assuming that the machine has one). If so, it's relatively simple to swap out as long as you can get easy access to it. If the machine doesn't have one then you need to get in the habit of opening up the steam wand when you start it up.