Machined a new steam tip for the Dalla Corte Mini

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ferrum

#1: Post by ferrum »

As mentioned in my "introductory post" - I do have a dalla corte mini and am seriously addicted to cappuccino...

now the three-hole steaming tip with it's 1,4mm holes is anything but bad... actually it's quite good in comparison to many other tips I've seen. The original tip and frothing-"arm" have both been made from solid stainless steel... there are even some machining "marks" (tiny) on the tip from being turned....

none the less whilst experimenting to get the perfect "micro foam"... I thought that the steaming performance and action could be improved by using a different tip...

As it was sunday (usually my "shop-free-day") I thought I'll head to the shop to make a small custom job on my lathe.

and here's the result:

turned from a solid 20mm piece of V4A Stainless Steel ;) (I know it's overkill to use V4A for such a project, but I had some scraps around).

it features an internal 5mm hole, the matching outside thread (copied the measurements from the original tip) and FOUR 1,2mm holes (so they're smaller than the original ones...
also the holes are more "flat-angled" compared to the original (I hoped to achieve a better "swirl").

after installing it on the Dalla Corte I pulled a test shot and frothed some milk...
and all I can say is "Wow"... it seriously improved the speed of "frothing", the amount of control and last but not least the microfoam ;)

If someone wants one, shoot me an e-mail (http://www.dgentile.com)...

OR IF someone has ideas to further improve the tip, LET ME KNOW ;)

Any other input is very welcome too...

Daniel

Lupulus

#2: Post by Lupulus »

Wow, very impressive! Do you have the ability to post a comparison video of both tips; I am sure everyone would be interested.

ferrum (original poster)

#3: Post by ferrum (original poster) »

hmm..
I don't have anything besides my IMac's Webcam capable of taking video-footage...
and the 24" iMac is not very convenient to move infront of the coffee machine ;)

My Nikon D70 does not do video either...

maybe my gf's old sony cybershot does video... got to check this out later.
if it does I'll film the action...

Daniel

gyro

#4: Post by gyro »

Excellent work! The speedster has the same arrangement with 4 x 1.2mm holes and seems to work a treat once you get the knack of it.

ferrum (original poster)

#5: Post by ferrum (original poster) »

gyro,

thanks for the info about the speedster having a 4-hole 1,2mm tip as well...

Keith van der Westen ;) - aah, what would I give to get a speedster...
it's a "tad" out of my price-league though... (but who knows).

But maybe I'll make my own machine one day...
I got the equipment to pull it off... but not the time at the moment to seriously CAD the thing, get the group-head and engineer all the parts... but who knows... maybe a long winter project or whatever.

gyro

#6: Post by gyro »

Sounds like an excellent project! Many parts are generic, for example I believe the steam wand (perhaps not the tip, although you are covered in that department!) are Faema parts.

Jeepin' Geo

#7: Post by Jeepin' Geo »

Daniel,

You are an excellent machinist. I would love to be your neighbor! :D

Your steam tip looks very well done. The knurls must be a great solution to the problem of grip while trying to remove the tip but are they hard to keep clean? If I run a little hot while steaming it's somewhat hard to get all the 'boiled on' milk off the normal flat sided tips.

Best of luck and enjoyment with your Gentile Espresso Machine (GEM)!

George

ferrum (original poster)

#8: Post by ferrum (original poster) replying to Jeepin' Geo »

George,

thanks for the kind words ;)

The knurling is a good solution indeed... yet at first when doing it I was sceptical myself of how difficult clean up would be... ... so I thought I only do a very fine knurling / checkering... almost just superficial.
it still improves "grip-ability" a lot... but it's still easy to clean (about as difficult/easy as the old tip).
I use a damp/slightly wet kitchen towel to clean the tip and pipe.... works like a charm.

Thanks also for the good wishes about the GEM#1 ;)

best,

Daniel

Lockman

#9: Post by Lockman »

ferrum wrote:As mentioned in my "introductory post" - I do have a dalla corte mini and am seriously addicted to cappuccino...

Daniel
Ah, gee, you think? :wink: Thats not a huge step down from the tippy top. I like the adjustable temp as well. Anyway, my Promac (Rancilio S27) steams, well, doesn't steam worth a crap. When I purge the valve it seems like the steam is a little on the wet side. Does anyone know if this could be the problem? I have a 3 hole tip and I bought a 2 hole as well but I cannot for the life of me get the kind of foam I can on my La Pavoni (thick as you want). In fact I can't get ANY foam. Any suggestions are appreciated and will be graded. :wink:

Nice work by the way! :D
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

I turned a steam tip on my lathe once, unfortunately a wood steam tip does not work well, or last long. But my portafilter handles look nice. :lol:
Dave Stephens