LUCCA M58 by Quick Mill, reviews and owners thread

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
benpiff

#1: Post by benpiff »

Hi all,

After the LUCCA M58, Profitec 700 Pro and Vesuvius @Clive Coffee comparison thread reached 8 pages, it was suggested that the in-depth forum review receive its own thread. You can see lots of photos, questions and answers straight from Clive here Clive Coffee, TESTED new Quick Mill Lucca M58 (vs Profitec 700 Pro!). But I know a number of people who were able to take advantage of the Winter promotion, and hope they'll post impressions, reviews and info here.

In addition, Mark generously lent me a new M58 for testing and review, so I'm happy to take pictures and videos of anything you've been wondering about.

The most recent question in the last thread was about boiler size, which is 1.4l for steam and .75l for brew boiler. I set it up plumbed running 20 amp mode. I have some photos and videos on the way, but give me some test ideas :wink:

newrevolution123

#2: Post by newrevolution123 »

Hi ,

I am very interested in the Quickmill M58 Lucca machine yet cant find any videos showing how the hot water spout functions , meaning does it spurt when dispensing hot water or is the water flow smooth and constant (even though it works off the reservoir). Any owner would have a video on this?
"Success is something you attract by the person you become.” -- Jim Rohn

benpiff (original poster)

#3: Post by benpiff (original poster) »

Hi Chris,
I preheat cups and shot glasses with the hot water spout most of the time. My experience of dispensing hot water has been very similar across most machines, and I've found that dropping the steam boiler temperature a bit makes a big difference with spurting. For example, when I have the steam boiler set at 260, the wand dispenses faster and with a bit more sputtering than when I drop the temp to 250. But either way, the joysticks are very efficient for accurately dispensing the desired amount of hot water very quickly (with instant on and off).

By the way, what volumes of milk do you like to steam (if you drink milk drinks)?

Making a latte: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB3CFMrecuU
Max Pressure: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/g ... directlink
Real World Use: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X ... directlink

-Ben

newrevolution123

#4: Post by newrevolution123 »

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes I steam lots of milk for my latte drinks as well as hot chocolate and mochas for my wife and guests. Roughly 1/2 gallon per day. I also have lots of visitors asking for teas instead of a coffee so the quickest way to prepare those would be to use the hot water dispenser. My current HX machine (Nuova Simonelli Musica) does not allow this operation at least not smoothly so I am wondering if the M58 may be worth the upgrade.

Look forward to seeing the new video!
"Success is something you attract by the person you become.” -- Jim Rohn

Bikeminded

#5: Post by Bikeminded »

I'll share a couple of internal photos of the M58 shared to me by Clive Coffee. (I'm evaluating this machine versus a Profitec 700). It does indeed look like a 2B inside.
On the positive side, it appears that the base frame of the unit is all SS, compared to the 700 which appears to be painted.
On the negative side, the overall layout of the components don't seem quite as neat. Wiring appears a bit 'messier than the 700.
Hard to tell if the M58 pump is rubber mounted. I noticed the 700 is.
I've seen sales pitches on rotary pumps mounted vertically (M58) and pitches on them mounted horizontally (700). Does anyone have any real world input on that?

#6: Post by benpiff (original poster) »

Hi Chris,

With that volume of steam boiler use, I think you'd get a lot of value out from the efficiency of joysticks. Also, the M58 comes with both two and four hole tips, so you'd be able to dial in the exact boiler pressure and tip combination to get the amount of steam control you want. But keep in mind, if you have the steam boiler cranked up for max pressure, the hot water does come out about 50-60 degrees hotter than you want for tea brewing (so you'd want to let it cool for a minute). I don't know of a home machine that has a mixing valve, but I make tea for friends this way regularly because of convenience :mrgreen: .

Hiya Tom, thanks for posting those pics.

I've owned machines with both pump layouts, and particularly remember two different La Spaziale Vivaldis that experienced motor bearing failure due to the possibility of water leaking directly into the motor and pooling up at the bearing (if they shared the M58 layout, the motor would have been safe). I believe the Duetto 3 has the motor placed under the pump, which is even more risky for motor damage. The M58 and Vetrano 2B do have rubber pump mounts (you can see at the top of the pump mounting bracket), and they share the whisper silent performance.

The other comparison thread I posted with the brief comparison between the M58 and 700 Pro drew some helpful info when user Malling described some slight differences between these two machines. He said, "...we also have to remember, that there simply is allot more wires in a V2B and M58 then in the above mentioned machines, the reason for this is, that QM are using magnetic valves, and if you take a closer look at the water tank holder, there is no less then 5 wires attached to it, there are 8 wires attached to the two main switches at the front etc. all of this adds allot of wires, if Izzo and Profitec have followed the same path, they too would have looked allot more like a birds nest...if we just look away from the wiring for a moment, then the internal layout is actually good, RPM motor is placed where it should be, in such a small frame, the PID is placed at the coldest place on the front panel, and not directly above a steam boiler (like Duetto), there are allot of holes beneath the boilers, the frame is entirely made of Stainless steel and not just painted steel. All electronic is placed at the coldest possible location with good heat sink capabilities, meaning prolonged lifespan...with Profitec if you get too high a pressure then the safety valves will spray its entire content on the internals, QM however will lead it directly to the driptray."

Also, for what it's worth I'm probably one of the only people who has had to interact with the whole wiring harness when I installed my 2B's control box and solid state relay (bought a project machine that was missing a few things), and the combination of user manual and technical support helped me get the seven terminals in their correct places very quickly (the number of terminals is small despite how complicated the harness looks). That experience helped me feel very confident with the quality of the internals, and that maintaining these two flagship machines will be very similar over the next 5-10 years.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

newrevolution123 wrote: I also have lots of visitors asking for teas instead of a coffee so the quickest way to prepare those would be to use the hot water dispenser. My current HX machine (Nuova Simonelli Musica) does not allow this operation at least not smoothly so I am wondering if the M58 may be worth the upgrade.
Unless a machine has a mixing valve or mixing block that adds cool water to the steam boiler water you will get the spurting & the water will be too hot for tea. I don't believe that there are any machines in this price range that offer that feature but I could be wrong.
LMWDP 267

whenwherehowe

#8: Post by whenwherehowe »

My machine has arrived! I'm yet to turn it on, but it's looking VERY nice on the espresso bench.

whenwherehowe

#9: Post by whenwherehowe »

Ok this is a small, sort of silly thing, and I'll have more to say here, both positive and negative, but a quick observation: one of the unexpected joys of this machine, coming from a vibe pump, is hearing the drops of espresso drip into the cup. Not a huge deal, but espresso making and consuming is entirely an "enjoyment of the senses" game, and this machine has added a whole new sense to the process.

#10: Post by benpiff (original poster) »

Post a video! We need to hear that wonderful "Plip...plop.." from the syrupy shot.