Low brew temperature on Expobar Office? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
crobley (original poster)

#11: Post by crobley (original poster) »

Thanks so much for the help.
I will give them a call again.

erics
Supporter ★

#12: Post by erics »

For sure there exists loads of information on this site, not the least of which would be this:

/newbie-int ... resso.html

But WLL may also offer some intro courses and there is nothing like "hands on" training on a typical home machine.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Advertisement

#13: Post by crobley (original poster) »

So little update:
Was instructed by Whole Latte Love to increase my brew pressure to be around 1.4-1.5 bars. The instructions provided explained that I should make small adjustments to the pressurestat, turning 1/4 turns.

In the end I had to pretty much do 2 full rotations on it to get it to 1.5 bars. (I actually couldn't even spin it anymore).
And yeah, my temperature raised like 10 degrees. So there is definitely something else wrong with my machine. Man this is so annoying for a brand new machine. Wonder if I have a lemon :(

erics
Supporter ★

#14: Post by erics »

That boiler pressure is waaaaayy too high. Where are you in New York . . . close to Whole Latte Love ?

See this: search.php?keywords=expobar+restrictor& ... t=0&ch=300
Skål,

Eric S.

sweaner

#15: Post by sweaner »

What you need is Eric's group head thermometer for your machine. Eric, can you tell the OP where he can get one? It will help immensely.
Scott
LMWDP #248

#16: Post by crobley (original poster) »

No, Im about 5 hours away from WLL unfortunately.
So that pressure is way too high? Im so confused because they specifically told me to set it to that range.
I got off the phone with them this morning. Told her what the pressure is at and that I and having water run from the group head into a pre-heated cup. I put my digital thermometer in it and it reads 150F.

She said "What your describing isn't possible. Make sure your thermometer is calibrated properly and test the water into a paper cup."
To which I reply "I can definitely do that but Im telling you I really dont think that will make any difference. I can put my finger into the water in my cup without it scalding me, but hey, I'll try it."

Edit:
Watching this video: Tweaking an HX espresso machine - adequate steam pressure vs. desired brew temperature?
That Erics Thermometer is definitely something I will get. I can say right now my machine has never flash boiled like that. This guy says his machine is also set to a little over a 1/4 turn from being at max which would make it similar to my machine.

erics
Supporter ★

#17: Post by erics »

That Erics Thermometer is definitely something I will get.
Then send me an email to the address below my sig.
Skål,

Eric S.

Advertisement

#18: Post by crobley (original poster) replying to erics »

Sent!

#19: Post by crobley (original poster) »

Got off the phone with WLL again.
I feel a bit embarrassed even admitting this, but Im a noobie anyway so who cares.
So I explained again that my brew pressure was at 1.5 bars and that I just did a temp reading and it was at 140F. She says "...thats really not possible. Can you do me a favor and fill a paper cup almost to the brim and measure it again?"

Up until this point I was only putting a little water in paper cup. So I figure, sure why not. I fill a cup and dunk the thermometer in it......197F. Craaaaaaap.

"Uh, hehehe....ummm yeah Im really sorry for having bothered you it says 197F so I guess its just fine."

I did mention how my machine doesn't flash boil or rarely does. She said that the newer Expobar have a flow restrictor that prevents them from flash boiling so I shouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, turns out the machine is fine. But hey! At least I ordered Erics Thermometer out of all of this. Thanks for the help everyone.

#20: Post by crobley (original poster) »

Just installed the thermometer. Thanks Eric!
Question: Is there a temp I should aim for when this is idle? Right now at idle the temp reads 202.5F.
You had mentioned before that my brew pressure was way too high so I cranked it down from 1.5 to 1.2 bars and it appears the temp in the group is dropping fairly quickly. I will let it sit for a bit and see where it stabilizes.