Long pause in using single boiler espresso machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
slusar_o2

#1: Post by slusar_o2 »

Hi, I've just bought my first HX machine, and i was wondering how to store my little delonghi correctly? It will probably stay unused for couple of months. Do i need to leave water in boiler, or better to drain it. If so, how to do it? Using steam wand and turning machine upside-down? Firstly I thought, I will drain boiler, but i'm little confused, because for ex. when I leave my motorcycles for winter it has to have full tank of gas. Otherwise it will cover in rust (tank not bike of course :)).

How is it with espresso machines? Any advice appreciated.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

From Preparing Espresso Machine for Storage in the FAQ:
HB wrote:If the machine will be stored in a heated space for a few months, it can be as simple as turning it off and then descaling/flushing when you bring it out of storage. The FAQ elaborates in Preparing an espresso machine for storage, Draining an HX boiler for storage and shipping, and Advice about bringing an espresso machine out of storage.
If it will be stored in unheated space, you'll need to drain the boiler. Some have suggested using cheap vodka as an antifreeze, but I've never tried it.
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee »

HB wrote:If it will be stored in unheated space, you'll need to drain the boiler. Some have suggested using cheap vodka as an antifreeze, but I've never tried it.
Hmmm, and if putting it back in service without draining could be interesting results!
Mike McGinness

slusar_o2 (original poster)

#4: Post by slusar_o2 (original poster) »

Thx, but what's better in long term, leaving water in boiler, or draining it? Let's say the storage place will be heated.
Water left in boiler probably will coz heavy scaled interior, while empty one will cover in rust? Am I right?

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

A motorcycle tank is made of steel and can rust if stored empty, but espresso machine boilers are made of copper, stainless steel, aluminum, brass... not steel. I stand by my original recommendation: If the machine will be stored in a heated space for a few months, it's as simple as turning it off and then descaling/flushing when you bring it out of storage.
Dan Kehn

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero replying to HB »

+1

If you have doubts as to whether the water in there now might be on the hard side (cause scaling) or on the corrosive side, then you could consider purging/refilling with distilled water to which you have added a small amount (half teaspoon per gallon is plenty) of sodium bicarbonate. Then when you returned it to service you'd flush, but would not need to descale.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h