Livietta: Boiler water coming out through steam wand

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Pittsbri

#1: Post by Pittsbri »

I'm having problem: each time I steam milk, tons of boiler water is coming out of the steam wand. Problem just started a week or so ago. Everything else functioning well. But can't produce milk drinks at the moment ( undrinkable due to boiler water). Any thoughts?

Machine is 91 Livietta.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Sounds like the water level in the steam boiler is too high. That sometimes happens because scale has built up on the autofill probe over time, resulting in an ever-higher water level. See How do Auto Fill Probes Fail? and Descaling and water level probe for more details.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
flathead1

#3: Post by flathead1 »

Brian,

Just a clarification. Is this Livietta the Olympia Maximatic copy or the recent Livietta 90?
A Lever and a place to stand ...

LMWDP #152

Pittsbri (original poster)

#4: Post by Pittsbri (original poster) »

It's the maximatic Livietta coffex unit. No auto refill. Only manual boiler fill.

#5: Post by Pittsbri (original poster) »

Perhaps boiler sight glass reading incorrectly causing me to overfill boiler. Should be easy enough to check...

#6: Post by Pittsbri (original poster) »

Sorry guys. For Clarification the machine I'm having issues with is an Olympia Maximatic manufactured in 1991 and rebadged as a pasquini Livietta. Forgive me for not making that clear in subject heading.

flathead1

#7: Post by flathead1 »

I have noticed the sight glass on my Livietta is often slow in showing the correct water level, so overfilling is probably your problem. I have a wooden chopstick by the machine and check the water level by dipping it in. The steam take off is right at the top of the boiler so overfill is likely.
A Lever and a place to stand ...

LMWDP #152

Advertisement

#8: Post by Pittsbri (original poster) »

Thanks Flathead. I'll use the chopstick trick. I thought perhaps the sight glass path had scale in it and caused the water level to read too low. So I bled off steam until water stopped coming out. Took a long time. And pretty much emptied a full boiler. Probably something simple. I'll keep plugging away until I get it sorted out. Thanks for the help.