Limitations of lower end single boiler espresso machines

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Lauer

#1: Post by Lauer »

So it's been an interesting and unexpected journey so far since receiving my Delonghi eco310 as a present. I've been doing my research through this and other sites, proving invaluable with the info and advice given by very experienced and passionate people so I'm very grateful.

I'm really interested to know as I don't plan to upgrade my machine anytime soon (at least a couple of years) just what limits I'm going to run into and what can and can't be done so I have a better idea of what's me, what's the equipment (so I don't chase my tail) and just how far I can go. And any tips or light bulb moments others have had with similar machines.

The interest is predominantly single origin espresso with focus on grind, dose and technique with a bottomless PF. Temp surfing is not on the radar yet but know this will becoming at some point.

For those who don't know it's a single boiler, vibe pump, 15 bar non adjustable pressure.

Beenbag

#2: Post by Beenbag »

You will find it very useful to have some means of knowing the boiler/brew temperature and the actual pump pressure at the brew head.

Lauer (original poster)

#3: Post by Lauer (original poster) »

Thermostat is set to 105 C I'm aware this is too hot and will have to be fixed with temperature surfing.

Pressure is an interesting one which I guess the only way of knowing would be to build a gauge which I may do at some point.

Is having non adjustable pressure a really big draw back? Is it something that can be adjusted with dose and grind? This machine does not have an OPV.

Beenbag

#4: Post by Beenbag »

This may be of interest.
Zero cost adapter for portafilter pressure gauge
I would also recommend at least a digital probe thermometer and a foam cup to check the brew water temp.
Seeking low tech way to measure brew temperature

Lauer (original poster)

#5: Post by Lauer (original poster) »

Thanks for that Richard