Lethargic pressure gauge.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
scook94

#1: Post by scook94 »

I've had my Izzo Vivi for about 4 and a half years, over the past month or so I've noticed that the pressure gauge is becoming quite lethargic and slow to respond. The machine it's self seems fine but the gauge will often take well over an hour to show the correct pressure and similarly it can take several hours to return to zero after it's been switched off.

Is this likely just the gauge itself needing replaced, and if so, is this an easy enough job? Or do you guys think I may have a problem elsewhere?

TIA, Steven.

scook94 (original poster)

#2: Post by scook94 (original poster) »

Oh, well. Thanks to everyone who looked at this thread.

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Good one!

I would confirm that the tubing leading to the gauge is not obscured. To dampen out pulsing/vibration from the pump, on most espresso machines, the gauge is connected to the boiler by a coil of very thin tubing. It could be slow to respond because the coil of tubing is clogged with scale.
Dan Kehn

aindfan

#4: Post by aindfan »

I'll agree with Dan - your description sounded just like a scale clog to me. Can you remove the tube, soak it in your descaler of choice (appropriate for the materials), and check gauge operation again? (I imagine that tube and gauge would not normally see any descaling solution during a normal descale because there is a dead end at the gauge inlet.) If that does not work, the gauge inlet itself may be scaled or the gauge may need replacement. Someone else will have to chime in for more detail on that last sentence, as I know little to nothing about the insides of a pressure gauge.
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203
PSA: Have you descaled lately?

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

aindfan wrote:...I know little to nothing about the insides of a pressure gauge.
There's a nice explanation of a Bourdon pressure gauge on wikipedia:
The Bourdon pressure gauge uses the principle that a flattened tube tends to change to a more circular cross-section when pressurized. Although this change in cross-section may be hardly noticeable, and thus involving moderate stresses within the elastic range of easily workable materials, the strain of the material of the tube is magnified by forming the tube into a C shape or even a helix, such that the entire tube tends to straighten out or uncoil, elastically, as it is pressurized.

<snip>

In practice, a flattened thin-wall, closed-end tube is connected at the hollow end to a fixed pipe containing the fluid pressure to be measured. As the pressure increases, the closed end moves in an arc, and this motion is converted into the rotation of a (segment of a) gear by a connecting link which is usually adjustable. A small diameter pinion gear is on the pointer shaft, so the motion is magnified further by the gear ratio. The positioning of the indicator card behind the pointer, the initial pointer shaft position, the linkage length and initial position, all provide means to calibrate the pointer to indicate the desired range of pressure for variations in the behaviour of the Bourdon tube itself.
Dan Kehn

#6: Post by scook94 (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies! I had thought it might be a scale problem and gave the machine a descale over the weekend. I wasn't sure at the time how feasible removing the coil would be, so left that alone in the hope that a normal descale might help. Sadly not, but I've had a closer look at how the coil is attached and it looks pretty straight forward, so I'll remove it and soak it on it's own.

Thanks again.

#7: Post by scook94 (original poster) »

Soaked it in citric acid for 30 mins, rinsed out and got the water out of the coil with a butane lighter and I'm happy to report that the lethargic pressure gauge is its sprightly old self once more! :D

I just need to fix my pump now, which seems to have taken a nose dive since the descale. Strip down, clean and rebuild should fix that one!