Lelit PL62 "Mara", short review

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
zortan

#1: Post by zortan »

Hi to all, this machine was on the market by 2-3 months, so no review available and no pics of the interior can be found on internet... i begin to post something for first, because i'm a proud owner of it from 3 weeks !

The machine come with 2 different version: full or poor (S version)
The full has a metal tamper with a red wooden handle, two portafilters for single and double, the water softener in side the tank. The "Poor" version has one portafilter with single and double basket, no softener, no tamper.
There is also a PID version. But in my opinion PID is useless since you learn to use it.

I own the poor version, the difference in price is about 100 eur.

The machine is the most compact e61 with HX on the market, it's onlt 22cm wide, 40 deep and 35 tall. It fits every kitchen without any problem, and it still has 2.7 liters tank, it's not very big but also not very little. It's simply good for an home use.

This machine has also 2 ulka pumps, one for the autofilling of the boiler, and another powerful one for brewing.

The weight is about 20 Kg, It's HEAVY !

Defects on arrival: Screw of the brewing lever was loosen, some minor misalignment of the external chassis. Both defects fixed in 10 min and a screwdriver.

Defects after few days of use: the low water alarm is useless because it beeps and "locks" the machine too late, when the machine has sucked air.. probably there is the need of a regulation of the sensor.

The steam tubes are always cold, inside the steam pass thru a teflon tube xoaxial to the external steel one. this is EXCELLENT and avoids burning while steaming.

Steaming power is, in my opinion simply awesome for an home use. I can steam with excellent microfoam 500ml of milk in a VERY short time, i mean 60-70 seconds. If you steam 50ml for a normal cappuccino you will need 10 seconds before the steel cup burns your hands. VERY fast steaming.

Hot water is OK, there is an "anti sputter" grid that allow you to use this tap, as a tap ! it's safe and the tube remains cold with same system of the steam tube.

The machine chassis tends to overheat a bit. This machine does not like to stay on for hours, the tank will go hot. there is the space for place a 4 litres tank but probably lelit left some "insulating" space for minimize this heating process. All the components inside the machine are mounted very near, in my opinion an "insulating boiler mod" will be useful.

The cup holder keeps the cups HOT enough after 30 min after power on the machine.

This machine is ready to brew in 15 minutes. If you want to be really safe i say 20 min. Not more. It's totally useless to wait 1 hour or more. 15-20 min max are perfect. On this time the cups on the cup holder goes to about 30°C. Perfect.

Overheat issues: The machine, if left on for a lot tends to overheat a bit the chassis and its water tank. But it does not really overheat the brewing. If you left it on for 1 hour, a cooling flush is recommended but in my experience a 5 seconds cooling flush is enough.
If you turn on the machine and wait 15-30 min i usually do not make any cooling flush and my espresso does not taste of burn at all. This machine seems to overheat the brewing water a lot less than others.
I will make measurement on that.

The lights for power on, and resistor on are blue leds. Beautiful and cool.

The power on button, under the dual gauge has the feeling to last forever. Very strong feeling.

Internally the machine looks have all the devices expected for a complete automatic HX machine.

Some pics

sorry for some probably writing errors but i'm italian, i learn english at school and i dont use it too much !

darilon

#2: Post by darilon »

Thanks for reviewing it. Your English was just fine and completely understood. This is an interesting entry from LeLit. I wonder what it's pricing will be in North America (if anyone decides to carry it).

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Nice review. That looks like a good home machine. Adding insulation to the boiler may solve the case getting hot and could make the frame cooler, depending on how the boiler attaches. Can you show photos with the case removed?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Pyaredeshi

#4: Post by Pyaredeshi »

Great review and congratulations. I am from Switzerland and this machine seems to fit perfectly for me.
Unfortunately the price in Switzerland is very high and i prefer to buy it in Italy when I come in April.
I asked directly with Lelit but they do not do sales directly from the fabric. Can I ask where you bought your machine ? I coulnd't find andnonline shop in Italy who send also to switzerland......any idea for a dealer in Milano ?

Tanti Saluti da suizzera. Tim

zortan (original poster)

#5: Post by zortan (original poster) »

Yesterday i make hot chocolate with the steaming nozzle.
I confirm. For an home use it's VERY powerful.

Pictures from the inside will come in few weeks, i have only to find time to disassemble the machine. There is a HUGE number of screw.

ash4889

#6: Post by ash4889 »

Hi
Did you get the pictures yet??

ash4889

#7: Post by ash4889 »

Hi
Does anyone have any new information on this machine, I am torn between buying this one or the Vibiemme Jr HX? :?

ash4889

#8: Post by ash4889 »

Any new information on this machine yet?

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

In the USA 1st-Line Equipment imports and sells the Le'Lit products. Doug, they can walk you through several machine options in that line, Bezzera and others in a phone call. Their website is also a very good guide.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ash4889

#10: Post by ash4889 »

I am going with a used newer model(2009) Olympia Maximatic, its not cheap but that's the one I want and it fits in the space nicely.