Lelit PL042LET newbie questions

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cuppajoe

#1: Post by cuppajoe »

Greetings all -

Started lurking after a trip to Italy in March and getting hooked on Cappuccino. Apologies for any duplicated questions. I recently acquired a used Lelit PL042LET(Date if production 19/12/2007, Batch 102) in near mint condition. While it came with the user manual, it is deficient on several fronts.

The manual indicate a single pole switch for Steam, this one has two positions, with no indication how the two 'on' positions function. However, I did run across a thread where it was indicated that the switch operates - Down/off, Middle/Group off, for hot water from boiler, Up/Steam. Hoping someone can confirm this. And these are switches, not buttons. There's nothing on how the indicator light for steam functions for the multiple settings, and seems to just go on and off randomly regardless as to where the switch is.

I've seen mentioned that it is not recommended to back flush this machine, tho 1st Line does sell a blank basket for doing so.

The temp gauge indicates centigrade, but there are no actual numbers for the tick marks.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Ciao Ciao
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Alan Frew

#2: Post by Alan Frew »

See http://www.coffeeco.com.au/lelitplus%20 ... tions.html . Should work the same way.

Alan

cuppajoe (original poster)

#3: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Hi Alan -

Thanks for that. A bit hard to read on the photo, but it does seem to work the same. Seems they could have stenciled the same indicators on the 042LET(or did a better job on the manual).

Speaking of which, still don't know what the lamp for steam indicates. It just comes on and goes off randomly regardless as to where the switch is(except off).

I also seem to run out of steam before completing foam in a 12oz pitcher, filled 1/3 as recommended. When the steam is on for awhile, the temp gage doesn't go beyond the 40% range of the blue band. Not sure if due to a defect in the machine or not understanding what the lamp and gauge is telling me.

On the back flushing thing, will try asking 1st line, as they sell a blank basket. Hopefully they will talk to me even if I didn't buy my unit from them.
David - LMWDP 448

#4: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

PS -

Just noticed that the steam lamp comes on after about five minutes when the steam is turned OFF.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this machine. Other than the first couple of days, haven't been able to get micro foam. Steam seems to peter out about half way through the process. I did pull the frother aid off, which did improve things a bit. Get a nice roiling action without it. Machine has been descaled and cleaned.

Possible defective steam thermostat? Does seem to spit water with the steam a bit, even after purging it for about 15 seconds.

Thanks
David - LMWDP 448

shawndo

#5: Post by shawndo »

Can you post a close-up photo of the panel with lights/switches?

I can't find a good photo of your specific model. Some Lelits have multiple indicator lights, but my old PL041 only had one.

I think whats happening is that the light you are talking about is not a steam indicator, it is a heating element indicator. It light's up when you switch to steam mode because it needs to heat up the boiler to steam temperatures. In normal mode, it maintains the temperature at brew temperatures, so needs to turn on every few minutes to do this (like central air condition)

My Lelit had a remarkably small boiler, but I never steamed that much anyway. It might be just a limitation that it runs out of steam for you because it is so small. Do you know the volume of your boiler?
Also, do not purge for 15 seconds. If you are doing that regularly, that is where all your steam is going. I wouldn't worry about the periodic water "spit" Purging is only to get out the bit of water that is in the steam arm just before steaming and to clean out the arm at the end.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

#6: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Hi Shawn -

Here's a pic:

Here's the only image I could find online that matches my machine exactly:http://love4espresso.com/index.php/leli ... d-grinder/

The steam light comes on about 10 or so seconds after the main switch if tuned on and the steam switch is off. Flipping the steam switch through the other two positions causes the lamp to go out and then come back on after a moment(varies). Not sure if on indicates a 'ready' state or not.

When purging for steam, I only purge long enough for it to quit spitting water, probably one or two seconds. I then let it recover briefly before steaming. It's when it's at the end of steaming, due to it running out of pressure, that it seems to start spitting again, or at least it sounds like it. I ran across a mention of practicing steaming with a clear glass, so will try that to see what is going on.

So far I like the unit, having a decent grinder on board was one of the reasons for considering it. However...

Thanks for the feedback.
David - LMWDP 448

#7: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

"I think whats happening is that the light you are talking about is not a steam indicator, it is a heating element indicator. It light's up when you switch to steam mode because it needs to heat up the boiler to steam temperatures. In normal mode, it maintains the temperature at brew temperatures, so needs to turn on every few minutes to do this (like central air condition)"

After warm up, when I flip the switch all the way up for steam, the steam lamp is off and then comes on after about a minute. This would seem to indicate it is triggered by it coming up to temp. In fact, it comes on after about 30 seconds when the machine is turned on and the steam switch is off. These are rough estimates on the time, can try and get actual times if it would be useful.

During steaming, when the temp gauge gets to the low end of the 'blue zone' the steam lamp goes out.
David - LMWDP 448

#8: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Looks like I got the steaming sorted...pilot error(flying blind). Still need to figure out the light show. Most of what I've been able to glean indicate the lights go on at beginning of cycle and go out when temp is reached.

In the meantime, still trying to get back flush cleaning recommendations for it. The two retailers I've contacted, both Lelit dealers, have basically told me to pound sand because I didn't buy it from them and it's not a current model. As the manual indicates not to back flush, I doubt if I'll get anything different in contacting Lelit directly.

Both the dealers had a 57mm blank basket I would need, and the current machines seem to include a blank, so not sure just where to turn now. Best guess is to hack a blank basket out of the single dose basket that came with it, follow the manual for the procedure for a new model, and hope I don't screw the pooch. Or just forget the whole thing. Anyone out there who might know of any design differences between the PL042 and the newer machines that would effect back flushing?

I like the machine so far, just puzzled why getting even basic info is like pulling teeth, and why no one wants to sell me accessories/parts. I've worked in the photo industry for many years, and have never run into something like this. Heck, accessories and parts were always where the profit was anyway.

Thanks
David - LMWDP 448