Leaking from my Expobar Office Lever

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
onegirlcreative

#1: Post by onegirlcreative »

Well, here's my dilemma. I JUST received this machine two weeks ago, and already when I turn it on in the morning to heat up, it leaks from the group head. Nothing major, but I don't imagine this is necessarily a good thing.

I need to take the time to give WLL a call since it's where I purchased it from to begin with, but I wanted to put this out there first to see what you all thought.

Thanks.

akallio

#2: Post by akallio »

Where exactly it is leaking? From the group head or from the small tube that comes out a little below the group head?

If latter, then it is completely normal. At least Brewtus vent OPV water out from that little bent tube and you should see some water coming out when the boiler heats.

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

There are a couple of places where leaking is normal. The pressure release valve which usually drains out a little tube just over the drip tray is one. When the water in the closed pipe system heats, it expands. When it expands in a closed loop, it builds pressure. There is a valve in there that opens at around 10 bar to vent excess pressure so your pipes don't pop. The other is the 3 way valve which vents out the bottom of the group into the drip tray. Sometimes those will give you a few drips as the machine heats, again nothing to worry about. Now if you are getting a drip, drip, drip out the shower screen, you have a problem.
Dave Stephens

onegirlcreative (original poster)

#4: Post by onegirlcreative (original poster) »

akallio wrote:Where exactly it is leaking? From the group head or from the small tube that comes out a little below the group head?

If latter, then it is completely normal. At least Brewtus vent OPV water out from that little bent tube and you should see some water coming out when the boiler heats.
From what I can tell, it looks like it's coming directly out of the group head, but don't know what little tube you're talking about? Am I missing something?

#5: Post by onegirlcreative (original poster) »

cannonfodder wrote:There are a couple of places where leaking is normal. The pressure release valve which usually drains out a little tube just over the drip tray is one. When the water in the closed pipe system heats, it expands. When it expands in a closed loop, it builds pressure. There is a valve in there that opens at around 10 bar to vent excess pressure so your pipes don't pop. The other is the 3 way valve which vents out the bottom of the group into the drip tray. Sometimes those will give you a few drips as the machine heats, again nothing to worry about. Now if you are getting a drip, drip, drip out the shower screen, you have a problem.
I'm thinking this is what is happening.

What is going on??? I spoke to someone yesterday from WLL but unfortunately I wasn't in front of my machine; I was at work, so I tried his suggestion of making sure the lever was pushed back, but any farther back and the water would flush out of that back "thingy." I don't know what it's called, so excuse my ignorance.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by uscfroadie »

onegirlcreative wrote: so I tried his suggestion of making sure the lever was pushed back, but any farther back and the water would flush out of that back "thingy." I don't know what it's called, so excuse my ignorance.
The lever should be down all the way, which opens up the 3-way valve and will exhaust any water out of the bottom of the brew group (back "thingy", as you called it). If the lever is all the way down you should NOT have any water coming out of the grouphead's shower screen (where the portafilter locks in). If you do, call WLL to work on a fix. Also, if possible, post pics here of the leak.
Merle

quar

#7: Post by quar »

OK, sounds like you're leaving your lever in the middle position. That has the effect of opening the valve to your heat exchanger, but not activating your pump. As your machine heats up, the water in the HX is heating up and dripping out of your group head. That's your problem. As a previous poster noted, your brew lever should always be all the way down, unless pulling a shot. FYI, the middle position is only useful for a direct plumbed rotary machine to allow manual preinfusion.

Mike

Advertisement

#8: Post by onegirlcreative (original poster) »

But when I do put the lever all the way in the back position, water continually flows out of the brew group-if I'm understanding what you're saying correctly.

I apologize for my ignorance. When I get home from work tonight, I will take a pic of the leak so you can see exactly what is happening. Maybe that will help.

I really appreciate your help.

#9: Post by onegirlcreative (original poster) »

uscfroadie wrote:The lever should be down all the way, which opens up the 3-way vavle and will exhaust any water out of the bottom of the brew group (back "thingy", as you called it). If the lever is all the way down you should NOT have any water coming out of the grouphead's shower screen (where the portafilter locks in). If you do, call WLL to work on a fix. Also, if possible, post pics here of the leak.
Oh, I see. So the brew group is "supposed" to exhaust any water out of the bottom, correct? Maybe I never let it go that long so I didn't realize if it was supposed to stop flowing. I will try that, as well.

Thanks.

quar

#10: Post by quar »

OK, there's down, middle, and up positions. When not pulling a shot, you should have to lever all of the way down. There should be a short burst of excess water out of the exhaust, perhaps followed by some dribbling. No pump noise, no water from the group head. When you brew, push the lever all of the way up. This should actuate the pump and send water out of the group head. No water should be coming from anywhere else and you should hear the pump. Ignore the middle position. It's not at all useful on a machine such as yours.

Mike