Laurentis Astoria JUN rebuild HX

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
harv

#1: Post by harv »

I have started the reassembly of the JUN. When I disassembled the HX from the boiler, prior to descaling, I noticed the HX tube gaskets were mounted on the inside of the boiler (immediately adjacent to the HX), with the brass washers and nuts of course on the outside. Is this the proper orientation for placing the gaskets when mounting the HX in the boiler?

I do have the ops and install manuals but nothing detailed like this shows up. Can someone shed some light on me?
Thank you!

harv (original poster)

#2: Post by harv (original poster) »

Well, I called GEEC and spoke to a very nice tech there. Steve knew immediatedy what I was referring to and told me to mount the gasket between the boiler and the HX. Cinch down on the brass washer outside. I did this and it felt good, now to wait for finishing up and watch for the sprays.

On a separate note, I am about to order a replacement pump. Can anyone tell me what to expect regarding the 3/8" threads? Will I need to convert from NPT to BSP ? What thread do the italians use in the pumps which come stock?

Thanks

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

Some pics of that hx and boiler would be very interesting - that seems to be a unique design.

Why not send your existing pump out for rebuild here? - http://www.jcbeverage.com/index.html What exact make and model of pump does your machine have?

I believe that the great majority of machines have 3/8"-19 BSPP threading as compared to 3/8-18 NPT. My preference would be the BSPP but you need to be aware of the sealing mechanism used at that location - typically a soft copper washer.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

harv (original poster)

#4: Post by harv (original poster) »

Thanks Eric. I buttoned up the boiler, so the photo is not not possible, but, if this does not work, I'll have plenty of opportunity to open her back up and do it again, this time with photos. But I feel confident that all is now fine.
Thanks for the heads up on the rebuilding. I called JC and they seem knowledgeable. The pump is a fluid-o-tec PO204. I just may send this over to them. This way I know I won't have to add adapter fittings to get the new pump to work with the existing piping.
Had you worked with them before?

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

No, I have not worked with them but I do remember reading that others have.

YIKES - that's a high capacity pump - 4.55 litres/minute @ 9 bar - is it the "standard" pump for that machine? For example, the typical pump applied to the Quickmill Vetrano (and yes, it is a different class of machine) is the Fluid-O-Tech MA054 which flows 0.83 litres/minute @ 9 bar.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

karmacafe

#6: Post by karmacafe »

I recently replaced the original Procon pump in my Astoria one group with a Fluid-O-Tech PA1504 and it works great. I was going to go the rebuild direction but I ordered the pump directly from FOT. I got it for just a little over what I would have paid to get one rebuilt. Also, you can order BSP to NSP (male/male) fittings from Cafe Parts. Good luck.

harv (original poster)

#7: Post by harv (original poster) »

erics wrote:No, I have not worked with them but I do remember reading that others have.

YIKES - that's a high capacity pump - 4.55 litres/minute @ 9 bar - is it the "standard" pump for that machine? For example, the typical pump applied to the Quickmill Vetrano (and yes, it is a different class of machine) is the Fluid-O-Tech MA054 which flows 0.83 litres/minute @ 9 bar.

**Yes it is a high flow pump. Why? I don't know, but it is the original one from the MFG and is the current specified pump in the parts list.

Advertisement
harv (original poster)

#8: Post by harv (original poster) »

karmacafe wrote:I recently replaced the original Procon pump in my Astoria one group with a Fluid-O-Tech PA1504 and it works great. I was going to go the rebuild direction but I ordered the pump directly from FOT. I got it for just a little over what I would have paid to get one rebuilt. Also, you can order BSP to NSP (male/male) fittings from Cafe Parts. Good luck.

**I am considering the FOT route but wanted to forego the adapters. Did you get the integral strainer? How long did it take to get?

CRCasey

#9: Post by CRCasey »

erics wrote:YIKES - that's a high capacity pump - 4.55 litres/minute @ 9 bar

I have a question for those that know the pumps better than me.

With a Procon style pump if you use it at a lesser flow than rated, or with a higher bypass does this have any effect on the pumps life?

I assumed that the bypass valve would not care about the bypass flow only the pressure, but with a second thought there has to be a downside to that much bypass on the spring and the sealing parts.

Is this so low on the cycle times that we use that it would never matter?

Just wondering.

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

harv (original poster)

#10: Post by harv (original poster) »

I have cleaned all components including the Parker two-way and three-way valves. I would like to replace the o-rings which mount between the pilot tube and the flange end. I don't see these listed on any of the "parts" websites. Does anyone know what size these are so I can get a couple?