La Spaziale S5 and flavour problems

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ibizaman

#1: Post by ibizaman »

I don't know if any one has come across this which is causing some frustration, I have recently purchased a refurbished La Spaziale S5 (full de scale etc) this is the 2 group auto model.
After a quick plumb in and connect up the machine heated up as normal etc, after running a test shot the pump pressure was running at around 12, Dialling in the grinder (Mahlkonig) down the extraction was still to fast, the pump pressure adjusted down to 10 both on the machine dial and a portafilter with a gauge on.
The Mahlkonig was turned down to 1 and the extraction was around 25 seconds (single shot at 9 grams) the shot had a good crema on and a what seemed and normal amount of flavour for this coffee (coffee is a home roasted blend at around 215 degrees, the roaster is a Toper which is highly modified) as soon as a latte was poured there was no flavour this has dropped to a milky hardly any coffee flavour.
If the shots are pulled on a 25 year old manual 1 group Bezzera or my Gaggia G6 2 group the flavours are stronger and latte's have plenty of flavour and are really smooth, the straight shots have more flavour and are also smooth.
As a small bit of insight I have been into coffee for a great deal of time (around 20 years) I am also both electrical and a mechanical engineer so I understand these machine quite well. The 25 year old Bezzera was my first commercial machine and has many parts change and I have also given this a full de scale and rebuild.
One other thing on the flavour coming off the La Spaziale the person who refurbished the unit does this professionally he also has a coffee cart with a semi auto S5 on, his coffee he gave me while talking was ok but to me lacked a bit of flavour and was a bit bland, the espresso was smooth and a bit lacking.
We has a roaster who is well known in the UK and in a shop recently they had the roasters good coffee, amazing latte art easily competition standard so we were expecting a a good coffee .... but it was milky and a total lack of flavour ... the machine was a La Spaziale S5 less than 12 months old.
So does anyone else have flavour problems with an S5.
Finally roasting again tomorrow so upping the roast to make it stronger just for a test.

Kind Regards to all on here looking forward to joining in :roll: