La Spaziale pod adapter versus regular setup

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
movnmik

#1: Post by movnmik »

It seems that I have too much time on my hands because I started working on the Rapid EK I picked up around the same time I got the Cimbali. Fortunately it was working and it really only needed a thorough cleaning and replacement of gaskets. I was just cleaning the groupheads and brass shower disc and was wondering why the new shower screens I just purchased looked different from the old. I purchased the correct part (checked and double checked). I then started to do a thorough search of LaSpaz groupheads and noticed this link
La Spaziale S1 - Espresso Performance and low and behold my brass shower disc looks like the one at the bottom of the page. It appears to be a pod adapter shower disc. It also explains why the shower screen was much smaller.

This brings me to my questions
- Can I use the pod adapter brass shower disc? It seems like replacement shower discs are about $50 a pop and would like to not have to replace them.
- What order do the replacement shower screens attach to the brass shower disc? It seems that the smaller (with recess) would be closest to the nut.

BTW here is a link to see shots of the restoration

http://picasaweb.google.com/Movnmik/LaS ... estoration#

Brass shower disc

New Screens

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

movnmik wrote:Can I use the pod adapter brass shower disc?
No, they're not the same. Here's the pod adapter and basket:

The regular diffusion block and dispersion screens are shown below:

The pod adapter sandwiches the pod between its small diffusion block/screen and basket. The regular grounds diffusion block and dispersion screens wet the full surface of the puck. A pod adapter pressed into service with regular grounds would pull shots that are more prone to channeling.
What order do the replacement shower screens attach to the brass shower disc?
See above, they're installed in the order shown left-to-right. Details in the Buyer's Guide to the La Spaziale S1 (updated for the Vivaldi II).
Dan Kehn

movnmik (original poster)

#3: Post by movnmik (original poster) »

Dan,

Thanks for the clarification.

Now I have two La Spaziale pod adapters to get rid of :(

JmanEspresso

#4: Post by JmanEspresso »

The Brass Dispersion Block, for ground coffee, at $19.95 from Chris Coffee. I just bought a second one on Wednesday.

#5: Post by movnmik (original poster) »

Jeff,

Thanks for the info.

I want to commend Chris. After Jeff's response I went on to CC's site and initiated a web contact. Chris replied within an hour and indicated that I should give the service area a call. I called later that same day (yesterday) and ordered the parts. I got the parts today. I personally experienced why people recommend Chris Coffee so highly.

Mike

#6: Post by movnmik (original poster) »

Wanted to add that San Marco Coffee is another supplier of La Spaz parts and has very reasonable prices and s/h costs. FYI for all you La Spaz owners.