La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II and temperature LED

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
CamBam_HB

#1: Post by CamBam_HB »

While I'm pulling a shot, i've noticed that the temperature LED would drop off one by one (over about 25 seconds) until i finish my shot.
What does that indicate? A drop in temperature?

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by njtnjt »

Yes, drop in temperature. I find that the more shots I pull and the longer the machine has stayed on that the temperature will remain more stable. ie it will drop less quickly when pulling back to back shots.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

JmanEspresso

#3: Post by JmanEspresso »

The temperature sensor is at the water inlet side of boiler, which is opposite where the water hits the coffee. You're not likely seeing a drop in temperature at the brewhead/that will affect the shot.

If you were to continue to pull shots faster than the machine can recover, you will start to see a drop in actual brew temp. But, if the machine was recovered and ready to go prior to pulling a shot, the light turning out for a degree or two, is simply standard operation and nothing to worry about.

CamBam_HB (original poster)

#4: Post by CamBam_HB (original poster) »

Thank you all for your answers, however, I understand that there would be a recovery period (between shots), where the temperature LED would blink until it returns to the pre-programmed temperature (which, in my case is 94C).

What I'm describing is while pulling a shot, I would see the temperature LED drop from 94C to 91C, and the LED's stay turned off until the shot is complete. Is that by design, that the temperature would fall so quickly?

JmanEspresso

#5: Post by JmanEspresso »

During the shot, its normal to see the LED display show "a drop in temperature".

BUT, you're not seeing this drop in temperature at the puck of coffee. As I said, the temp sensor is at the inlet side of the boiler, it is reading a drop in temp as new water enters the boiler, not the water that is hitting the puck of coffee. As long as the machine was recovered before you pulled the shot, you're going to basically get a flat line brew temp profile.. EVEN THOUGH you may see the LED display dropping temp.

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by njtnjt »

Great to know the temp at the puck is not dropping during the shot! Sometimes all these lights and blinking sensors are more a cause of worry than anything else.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

JmanEspresso

#7: Post by JmanEspresso »

Yeah the Vivaldi is a very stable, user friendly machine.

If it helps put your mind at ease, the E61 PID dual boilers will usually do the same thing. Depending when the shot begins, you might see the PID click on the heater during the shot.

CamBam_HB (original poster)

#8: Post by CamBam_HB (original poster) »

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for your explanation, that makes much more sense. I wished they would have included that explanation in the manual, as i'm sure i'm not the first one to wonder why those lights are turning off while pulling a shot. Many thanks.

bean2friends

#9: Post by bean2friends »

Yeah, thanks. I've had my Mini for several years. When I first got it, I wondered the same thing, tried to find an answer and finally gave up. What I decided was I enjoyed my shots and I quit worrying about it.