La San Marco 85-12 pump problem

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
j1ggy

#1: Post by j1ggy »

First time poster, long time reader here.
I'd just like to say that I appreciate everything I've read here and all the info I've gathered over the years, however, I haven't been able to find an answer to an enigma I'm having right now.

So, let's begin.
I've bought a La San Marco 85-12-2 off the ads and have done a little TLC. I'm just having a problem with making any coffee.
No matter how I adjust the grinder the coffee always begins to pour in about 2 sec. It just runs thru in the first 2-3 seconds, but then slows down and starts to go slower (little faster then it should, still).
So I've checked the pressure and adjusted the Procon pump to read 9 bar at the gauge. And still no joy.
Then I've checked the amount of water coming thru the brew group with no portafilter attached and it runs like crazy! I get 200ml in 6 seconds!
As I know that this is the culprit, I'll write you a list of all the things I've tried to do:

- By lowering the water mains supply (which shows 4-5 bar at the gauge) by closing the valve BEFORE the pump (INLET), I've managed to slow it down to 200ml in 9 seconds but I need to make it around 60-90ml in 10 seconds, right? If so, then this is just too much.

- I've tried adding a valve AFTER the pump (outlet), but it just makes the pump hum in an uneasy way and raises the pressure after I shut down the brew group to 12 bar and beyond, which I relieve by turning on the other brew group (which is not connected to the pump).

- By turning on both brew groups at the same time I've managed to decrease the water flow, but this is not a solution as it brings down pump pressure to 6 bar, and it's just not practical for day-to-day use.

I'd like to add that the pump is not the one that comes with the the machine, but one from a Bezzera Ellisse, which I had laying around. Don't know if that's a problem?!
I've searched far and wide, but I've hit a brick wall here. Some help would be very appreciated...

j1ggy (original poster)

#2: Post by j1ggy (original poster) »

update:

I've been able to perfectly adjust the amount of coffee + crema to 25-30 seconds. All I did was grind much finer and adjust temper pressure and from there I've gotten the satisfactory results.
However, my pour still starts soon (after about 3-4 seconds). When I tried to grind even finer and temper a bit harder just to see if it'll change anything, I've still gotten the same pour start at 3-4 sec mark, but my extraction lasted around 40 seconds.
All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the end result, although I can't begin the extraction at preferable 6 seconds in. Everything else is there, pour looks consistent, coffee (Hausbrandt and Lilly) tastes really good, machine is cleaned and descaled, everything is running smoothly...