La Pavoni PA-1200, multiple questions/concerns

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Izalith6

#1: Post by Izalith6 »

Hello! I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I recently acquired this machine for cheap and consider it an upgrade from my Starbucks Barista machine. The La Pavoni PA-1200 is sooooo difficult to find information on, it's driving me up the wall.

First, does it have a 3-way solenoid valve?
second, is the portafilter 58 or 57 cm? What size filter do I need to buy for it? I'm finding conflicting information all over the place.

Thank you!

Izalith6 (original poster)

#2: Post by Izalith6 (original poster) »

bump!

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Sam:

Welcome to H-B! This is a coffee and espresso forum that's kind of like an audiophile forum so if you ask about consumer mass market equipment that won't let you fine tune espresso and milk texturing, I've got to steer you toward the rabbit hole.

Here's a link to specs via an online seller I don't know. They're not one of our approved vendors, but it will give you some info. There's a specifications tab that will answer some of your questions. The landing page shows something that is pure hype and of no relevance if someone knows anything about brewing espresso. It claims that the Ulka pump produces 16 bars of pressure and this somehow translates to creamy espresso. Anything more than about 9 bars creates a bitter brew and such machines have flow restriction adjusting to something like that rate. At least the specs sheet shows that. It lists other features of a not-quite-starter machine like a frothing attachment for the steam wand and a built-in grinder. It has a tiny boiler suggesting it uses a thermoblock to heat the water, which won't give you the temperature control needed for consistent brewing.

Sorry, I'm not wanting to be too negative. I started about where you did with a Krups, then a Saeco Magic Cappuccino Plus. Then one of our moderators helped me see what I might need, and I'm still appreciative. Better machines are separate from the grinder, and a good grinder has more influence on the quality of brewing than the espresso machine. You'll want a much larger boiler and more sophisticated gear for decent espresso. There are guides here to help you. Here are some links to get you on the right track.

Espresso 101: Newbie Introduction to Espresso [videos]

Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste

How to choose an espresso machine and grinder at the "right" price
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Alan Frew

#4: Post by Alan Frew »

It's a rebadged Lelit PL042 Combi, built in the Lelit factory in Brescia. 57mm portafilter, 3-way solenoid valve, 270ml brass boiler, Lux grinder. Tough little machine that will still be pulling excellent shots in 10 years time if you look after it.

Alan