La nuova era cuadra ii, breville dual, or other?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sqroot3

#1: Post by sqroot3 »

after recently upgrading to a vario (i think i have ground nearly a kilo of coffee through it in five days--more than our usual monthly consumption), i have caught the itch to upgrade from our humble saeco aroma as well. i realize that i have plenty still to learn about making coffee, so although i am 100% sure that my barista skills are not yet deserving of a nicer machine, i hope to gain more experience and grow with my purchase.

i have read numerous threads here and on cg, some multiple times, including an excellent thread a couple of months ago discussing $1000 to $1400 machines (if i remember right, the OP decided on a bezzera). two awesome bang-for-the-buck deals in this range easily stand out: the cuadra ii and the breville dual boiler. (the bezzera 07 comes in close, but i hear so many good things about the e61.) i have read about about how i will learn to fall in love with flushing and temperature surfing an hx if i so choose, about the joys of self servicing and commercial servicing and recharging softeners, about quality of construction.

i will be making espressos as often as milk drinks, although i realize that regardless of my decision, steaming will be far more pleasurable than it currently is on my aroma. i would prefer to wake up to a preheated machine, so i suppose a kill-a-watt or similar is in my future if i choose the cuadra ii. i want to get down and dirty and surf temps, and i love the look of a chromed beast, but the button-pushing, digital interface of the breville is also attractive. and how can you say no to a magnetic tamper-holder?? :D

i am truly undecided. which would you recommend, and are there any contenders in this price range that i'm missing?

thanks!

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Phasor

#3: Post by Phasor »

sqroot3 wrote:
i love the look of a chromed beast
Hi Sqroot3. I don't have much to help you with your decision (I own a Gaggia Baby and a Pavoni Europiccola) except a heads-up that the Cuadra II is not chrome on the sides. The front (and back, I assume) are chrome, but the sides are an ABS plastic, if I recall.

I looked into the Cuadra before getting my Pavoni, but it isn't carried by any Canadian retailers, and the extra fees/import duties made the cost just too high for me.

Best of luck with the decision.

sqroot3 (original poster)

#4: Post by sqroot3 (original poster) »

thanks for the informative replies!
man, that bloomingdale's deal is too good...