La Marzocco rocker switch

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
leozava
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by leozava »

Hey guys, I tried searching this and i hope i hasnt already been discussed but i have a 4 group linea and i'd like to replace the manual brew switch with a switch of the same size but with 2 switches so i can open the solenoid for pre infusion and then then pump. I search the internet for a switch that size with no luck. Also what are your thoughts on this approach??

Also, I ordered some 0.6mm gicleurs just the standard ones and i was curious if there is a difference between the regular and the ruby ones?

duke-one

#2: Post by duke-one »

Try Allied or Newark electronics. I don't think you'll find two indvidual switches that fit in that cutout. If nothing is right next to this switch, on the front panel or behind it you might be able to enlarge the original cutout to fit what you want.

Duke

leozava (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by leozava (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply, I was actually looking for 1 switch with 2 rockers built in but ill trythose 2 sites. i checked mcmaster but im not sure if its what im looking for

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rocke ... es/=gc0032

part # 7395K31

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Possibly a double pole, double throw (DPDT). Up would be preinfuse, middle off, down for brew (see item "...K14" on that page). Alternately, a delay relay on the pump circuit so that you just hit the brew function, the solenoid opens and the pump is delayed some amount of time...?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Supporter ♡

#5: Post by leozava (original poster) »

my only worry about the delay is that my machine is in my shop so if one group is brewing and the pump is already on how would the delay affect it?? opening the solenoid would be pointless i the pump is already going also

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mitch236 »

What you are trying to do won't work if you are brewing on two groups at the same time. Performing pressure profiling (or pre-infusion) like you are attempting works with either single group machines or multigroup machines with separate pumps for each group. I've seen it done on a 3 group Linea at Ipsento in Chicago but that is a much more elaborate system.

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by leozava (original poster) »

Yeah I know, I dont really have many options unless i add more pumps. so should i just add the gicleurs?? I was reading about your setup mitch but that has the same flaw as far as multiple brews goes, correct???

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mitch236 »

What I found was pre-infusion by pump cutoff didn't add any quality to my shot so I removed it. My machine is a single group though. I am moving forward with full-on pressure profiling with a Strada EP which uses gear pumps (one per group) with continuous control over the pressure per group. In my mind, I am convinced that controlling pressures during the shot makes a difference although I'm not sure how it will work out. If you watch Jim's pull on the Strega, he lowers the pressure as the shot begins to run faster, controlling the flow to maintain constant flow during the shot. To replicate that on the Linea would be nearly impossible without the F-O-T pump mod that's outlined on this thread: 'Pressure Profiling' With The Fluid-O-Tech TMFR Pump - Or, Wholesale Copying Greg Scace's Ideas

Good luck!