La Marzocco Mask Gicar control box

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
NickA

#1: Post by NickA »

Does anyone have any experience with the La Marzocco mask Gicar control box? Mine works fine on single and double shots, but if I push the 2 singles or 2 doubles buttons, the solenoid clicks on for about half a second and then clicks off. This is the same for both groups. It is as though they have both been programmed for too short a pour time. This may be the case, because I'm not sure how to go to program mode. The mask control box has an external key for programming mode. I don't have the key, so I have tried putting a jumper on to the box. There is no inidication that I am in programming mode; I have tried turning on with the jumper on, and turning on and then inserting the jumper. I have only tried with the power switch in position 2. (boilers on) With the jumper on, I then tried holding down the swirl button. (far right) This did light up all the buttons for a short period, but even then when I press and hold down the 2 singles button, it still clicks the solenoid on for half a second and then shuts it off.

My thoughts on the problem so far are I don't think it's the flow meters because they are working fine for single and double shots. Because both groups are doing exactly the same thing, I don't think it's the cables, because it would be pretty unlikely that both would fail in exactly the same way. At this point I think programming is still the most likely culprit.

So my questions are:

1. Can anyone confirm the proper sequence for programming mode?
2. Has anyone had a similar problem with some of the pour options not working?
3. Does anyone have a circuit diagram of the mask Gicar control box?

Any help would be appreciated.

durwiler

#2: Post by durwiler »

With the jumper in place, press the swirl button. While all of the lights are lit up, press (do not hold) the button you are programming (i.e. two single) allow water to flow to correct volume, then press the button again to stop. repeat for other buttons. The program you put on the left group should automatically carry over to the right.

NickA (original poster)

#3: Post by NickA (original poster) »

Hi Dan, thanks for that; it worked like a charm; all buttons working fine now.