La Marzocco Linea -Preinfusion-

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mkraft59

#1: Post by mkraft59 »

Hello,
i have a question about the preinfusion of my linea. I think the machine is from 1996, number is 16364. Photo attached.
I found the description for the Preinfusion setting in the manual. I tried it but nothing changed or i don't notice it.
So call you tell me if my linea does support preinfusion setting? And how can i control if the setting is on or off?

Thank you very much
Michael

mteahan

#2: Post by mteahan »

Some Gicar boxes list it as an option, but it has to be in the rom to enable it. This is a common box and I have never seen one with PI enabled. Install a digital pump delay with a pressure regulator to the machine and you can have your very own Slayer. Really. About $25 plus the regulator--which you could do without.
Michael Teahan
analogue | coffee

Paul_Pratt

#3: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Michael is of course exaggerating about the Slayer bit.....$25 is far too much! :D It's a very simple addition to basically any solenoid machine.

Just to confirm also the 1 group Lineas don't have the PI feature.

PictureThyme

#4: Post by PictureThyme »

Paul:

The control box of my Linea 1 Group was replaced with a box from a 4 Group machine:

This controller has preinfusion on the left two (Single and Single Tall) buttons and no preinfusion on the right two buttons.

I added a key switch to the box and am able to use the program key to program the times of shots. I've tried this on the right buttons without preinfusion, but am afraid to do so on the buttons that already have preinfusion because I don't want to lose this feature.

The program button is supposed to be a manual shot key as well, but only stops a shot that was started with the program buttons.

Is the the timing for preinfusion programmable or is it factory set? Do I have to do anything special to the buttons that preinfuse so as not to lose the preinfuse program?

BTW, I've got the machine running. I still have to route the wires to the new box I built for the PID, seal it and mount it to the bottom. Still trying to find a deal on used feet. I can't afford the cost of new.

Thanks,
Steve

Billc

#5: Post by Billc »

Michael,
The one group control boxes do not have a PI function. On the 2-3-4 group versions, when enabled, the pre-infusion function is pre-set and can only be changed if you have the wizard software from Gicar and a special cable.

Bill

jpboyt

#6: Post by jpboyt »

There is a way to verify whether or not your control box supports operator selected pre-infusion or not. On a 2/3/4 group, one would hold the left most button of the number one group control down while turning on the machine to the number one position (electronics only) and see if the led above the continuous button lights and then powering down the machine. If the led lit during previous process I would turn machine on and see if the group solenoid on button one and two hadn't taken on the behavior of opening, closing, and opening for the balance of a shot. I guess you would have to watch the pump pressure as there are no lights to show the position of the group solenoid. Then one would try the same process as above but using button two and see if the on and off behavior of the group solenoid quits. This should verify if the loaded firmware supports preinfusion or not.
jpboyt