La Marzocco Linea Mini User Experience - Page 22

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Dyrlaegen

#211: Post by Dyrlaegen »

How the paddle should work:

Beezer

#212: Post by Beezer »

I guess it was only a matter of time until someone figured out how to hack the Mini to do manual preinfusion. I'm not sure I really understand what he did, but it looks like it works pretty well.

That said, I'm not convinced that manual preinfusion will make a noticeable improvement in the resulting shots. I'm already getting much better flavors from my Mini than I ever got with any of my prior machines, most of which had fairly long preinfusion built in. Adding the ability to do manual preinfusion to the Mini is neat, but if it doesn't make the shots taste better, is it worth the trouble?
Lock and load!

lcats

#213: Post by lcats »

A question about the 58.4 5 Star Eazytamp. Prior to my getting my Linea Mini, I used a SS La Marzocco PF with an 18g VST basket on my Silvia as my standard basket / PF. The tamper I use is a standard RB flat-bottom 58mm. I did not like the OEM La Marzocco tamper which came with the Mini except for the smaller portion of it which is sized correctly for singles in my 7g VST single basket. I do my tamping in an ECM temper stand which I like quite a lot. However the RB is too small by a hair, and I am wondering about the Eazytamp.

With the tamper stand it is easy to get level, or at least so I think. It cradles the LM portafilter solidly so when I push everything seems quite level. The Eazytamp looks like a clever idea, but I wonder whether I would get any advantage with it, other than perhaps a better fit to the VST basket I use. I would appreciate any comments.

brianl

#214: Post by brianl replying to lcats »

No Idea as this better fit you can achieve with any 58.4mm tamper (it is an improvement getting the right size). I got occasionally canted tamps and when I saw the eazy tamp with its great looking build quality it was worth the investment to me. Also, it has a spring so you can get a consistent tamp pressure (works better than the clickly ones I've seen). Of course, this can all be done without the eazy tamper but i'm quite zombie-ish in the morning and find It hard to concentrate to get great consistent pours (this is more achieved on the weekend). it's 100% a convenience thing.

boost

#215: Post by boost »

Beezer wrote:I guess it was only a matter of time until someone figured out how to hack the Mini to do manual preinfusion. I'm not sure I really understand what he did, but it looks like it works pretty well.

That said, I'm not convinced that manual preinfusion will make a noticeable improvement in the resulting shots. I'm already getting much better flavors from my Mini than I ever got with any of my prior machines, most of which had fairly long preinfusion built in. Adding the ability to do manual preinfusion to the Mini is neat, but if it doesn't make the shots taste better, is it worth the trouble?
I agree, manual preinfusion will add complexity for most home user since it needs to be plumbed in to work. Keep in mind that all LM commercial machine does not have manual preinfusion as well save for the manual paddle.

Kipp

#216: Post by Kipp »

I have the eBay Pergtamp copy in a 58.5, the La Marzocco, 58 Vivace and reach for only the 5 Star Eazy tamp.

It fits the baskets as tight as I would want with a sharp edge on a flat 58.4 and results are extremely consistent and well, Eazy!

Check out the tamper shootout on Socraticcoffee.

Free shipping as of two weeks ago. Mine arrived in only 5 days from down under.

4000ft

#217: Post by 4000ft »

boost wrote:I agree, manual preinfusion will add complexity for most home user since it needs to be plumbed in to work. Keep in mind that all LM commercial machine does not have manual preinfusion as well save for the manual paddle.
The pre-infusion in the video does not require plumbing in.

Its replicating the slayer pre brew type infusion, using a solenoid and needle valve to limit the flow.

boost

#218: Post by boost replying to 4000ft »

That's actually a spring loaded pre-infusion chamber, similar to what Kees is using on Speedster and Spirit. I imagine LM can't do this because of patent (or the Slayer needle valve for that matter as well).

Beezer

#219: Post by Beezer »

Very clever mod. I wonder if he'll make the kit available at some point, and how much it would cost if so. I probably wouldn't bother with it myself, but I can see how some people might like the extra level of control.
Lock and load!

Patagent

#220: Post by Patagent »

boost wrote:

That's actually a spring loaded pre-infusion chamber, similar to what Kees is using on Speedster and Spirit. I imagine LM can't do this because of patent (or the Slayer needle valve for that matter as well).
Highly unlikely. In fact, LM owns a mid-90's (granted now lapsed) patent to a coffee machine having the spring loaded pre-infusion mechanism described in the link.