La Marzocco Linea Mini plumb in

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mrespresso23

#1: Post by mrespresso23 »

Hi,

I'd appreciate if someone could walk me through plumbing a linea mini.

If I understand some of the posts here, one would basically connect water line directly to the boiler instead of the clear plastic hose that is currently connected to the water tank?

Do you need to put in a water pressure regulator?

It's also clear that I'll need to short the water sensor circuit.

What about the drain? Can someone post few pictures that show how it is connected and how you pass the hose all the way to the back? It appears as if the water tank is actually blocking the way.

FYI did anyone try to connect a water line to the tank with a float so that it fills it whenever it gets empty? I'd imagine that it's a safer method that will protect the machine if something goes wrong with the water line.

The more pictures you have, the better!

nuketopia

#2: Post by nuketopia »

I've not plumbed one in, but I think shorting the water level sensor is kinda dumb.

For a plumb-in, wouldn't you want a water pressure switch, such that if water pressure was not present at the inlet, the boiler would be disabled?

Advertisement
Kipp

#3: Post by Kipp »

mrespresso23 wrote: ***The direction with the kit are pretty good.

basically connect water line directly to the boiler instead of the clear plastic hose that is currently connected to the water tank?

*****yes

Do you need to put in a water pressure regulator?

**** only if pressure is over 9 bar

It's also clear that I'll need to short the water sensor circuit.

**** 10 seconds, kit comes with little metal plate, screw it down , done.

What about the drain? Can someone post few pictures that show how it is connected and how you pass the hose all the way to the back? It appears as if the water tank is actually blocking the way.

***** remove the tank. Keep for a rainy day. Hose passes straight out the back

FYI did anyone try to connect a water line to the tank with a float so that it fills it whenever it gets empty? I'd imagine that it's a safer method that will protect the machine if something goes wrong with the water line.

**** NO, direct connect water line. You don't want to have to pull from tank. Your shots will be more consistent, viscous, and creamy after plumbing in. You will never go back.

mrespresso23 (original poster)

#4: Post by mrespresso23 (original poster) »

Thanks for the assistance!
Other important pointers that I should be aware of?

charlesaf3

#5: Post by charlesaf3 »

Be careful loosening other things while tightening. It's a bit cramped. I think I caused a minor steam leak - given it's been winter I haven't gone looking for it with leak tester yet, but better to avoid.

Kipp

#6: Post by Kipp »

Are you buying the factory kit?
If so the directions are pretty clear with pictures.
You have to pull the temp wheel before the side/rear 1 piece case. There are two screws at the rear bottom of case that were just slightly loose on mine so that you can slide the case towards the rear and off. If they are tight you will need a #2 Philips screwdriver with about a 12" shaft to reach them. The pump tilts forward some for access but it's tight so an extension bit the #2 tip won't work.
Use two wrenches to pull off main inlet hose to avoid messing up the pump.
Test your water and filter accordingly.

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

I'd appreciate if someone could walk me through plumbing a Linea mini.
My first suggestion would be to contact LM-USA and ask if they could send you the instructions for doing same. It "sounds" as though you have some doubts as to the skill level involved. Naturally, this will also depend upon the ready accessibility of a pressure regulated and filtered/treated water supply in addition to drainage.

The water supply line will be connected to the pump's inlet.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Advertisement
charlesaf3

#8: Post by charlesaf3 »

Its been a while, but I don't recall a pressure regulator being necessary with normal water service?

mrespresso23 (original poster)

#9: Post by mrespresso23 (original poster) »

I'm trying to avoid the "official kit". Not only because I am cheap (I am), but also because I don't want to wait until it will arrive.

If anyone here used the official kit, and is willing to PM me the official instructions that will be super kind.

bluesman

#10: Post by bluesman »

mrespresso23 wrote:I'm trying to avoid the "official kit". Not only because I am cheap (I am), but also because I don't want to wait until it will arrive.
I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but that seems like false economy to me. You spent $4500 on your machine but you're trying to save $50 on the plumbing kit and get someone to provide you with the LM instruction sheet so you won't have to pay for it. If you have any problem at all with the machine or your home made kit, you'll be on your own and what started as a saving could well become a cost. I'd seek the same quality in accessories that I bought in my machine, if I were you.

And by the time you get this effort together on your own, you could have had the kit in hand and installed it.