La Marzocco Linea Mini -- LED cover mod to address glare issue

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
weebit_nutty

#1: Post by weebit_nutty »

Before:

After:

Reversable:

Here's the video link to my mod. Enjoy!
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

charlesaf3

#2: Post by charlesaf3 »

looks good, I'll take a look at the video.

wsurfn

#3: Post by wsurfn »

I like your mod. Nice video demonstration.

charlesaf3

#4: Post by charlesaf3 »

Great stuff, much better than my current theory of smearing silicone. What else do you use those balls for, assume they are thermoplastic?

oh, and is this one of the sites where the video would be better off hosted here? Not sure what policy is.

Beezer

#5: Post by Beezer »

Very cool, thanks for posting that. Where do you get that plastic material? Order online?
Lock and load!

jpreiser

#6: Post by jpreiser »

For those interested in the mold-able plastic product used in the video, here is a link to the company's site.

A quick net search shows the product is sold on Amazon and eBay in addition to directly from the company. Other sites may have it but I did not dig into research that far.

keno

#7: Post by keno »

Online Michaels has some moldable plastic pellets, but my local store does not carry them. Going to order from Amazon and try this mod. Tired of waiting for LM to figure something out.

NightFlight

#8: Post by NightFlight »

+1 Weebit_Nutty, a great idea for a lot of things. Thanks

r.rowlan

#9: Post by r.rowlan »

Very inexpensive and quick fix ($10). Thanks for the video. Well done.

Does anyone know enough about LED's to say if this mod will drastically shorten the life of the bulbs?

jeffb

#10: Post by jeffb »

LED is a Light Emitting Diode and normally last a very long time, without much degradation. Electrical Voltage ,Amperage and Heat are the primary consideration for longevity. Covering or filtering the LED should not affect longevity. LED's also have a low heat characteristic so overheating due to covering or filtering, should be negligible . We represent a company that uses LED in sensors and lighting and the longevity is very, very good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

"Solid-state devices such as LEDs are subject to very limited wear and tear if operated at low currents and at low temperatures. Many LEDs manufactured in the 1970s and 1980s are still in service in the early 21st century.[citation needed] Typical lifetimes quoted are 25,000 to 100,000 hours, but heat and current settings can extend or shorten this time significantly."