La Marzocco Linea Mini DIY conversion to plumbed in

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
AzulCoffee

#1: Post by AzulCoffee »

I'll do my best to explain my plumb-in job for my LM Linea Mini.

This lived on my kitchen counter for several months while I built the coffee cart that will be used for the catered events.

I just looked at the La Marzocco website and they have parts numbers for the plumb in kit up there now.

This is the shot of the pump with the reservoir hose still connected.

In this photo, you can also see the grounding screw that I screwed the wire to for the reservoir water sensor. Basically, when that water level drops below the upper sensor, it opens that circuit and disables the pump. All you have to do is close that circuit in order to trick the sensor into thinking it's present and full of water.

A side by side of the original hose on left, and the new hose on right.

Make sure you use a 3/8" OD 1/4" ID hose for this. It's the exact same hose as the LM GS/3. There was some confusion when I spoke with the folks over at Espresso Parts about it being a 3/8" OD or ID size. Make sure you buy the compression connection or use tape on the threads, or you'll have a leak.

This is below the counter. I have a "utility room" for the water tank, waste water, and pump. The pump is a ShurFlow 2088 and supplies both the espresso machine and a pitcher rinser.

I use quick disconnect CPC hose connectors to ensure a smooth setup/teardown. All hose connecters are John Guest fittings too.

Here is a shot from my first event. I've added a small refrigerator to the cart since then.

keno

#2: Post by keno »

AzulCoffee wrote:I'll do my best to explain my plumb-in job for my LM Linea Mini.
Nice job! This really warrants its own thread as I'm sure there are many others who will be interested in this info and it will just get lost in this larger thread. So hopefully the moderator can split it off.

Beezer

#3: Post by Beezer »

Looks very clean and simple. How did you get the water connection through the case? Is there an opening that it can go through?
Lock and load!

JonF

#4: Post by JonF »

AzulCoffee wrote:I'll do my best to explain my plumb-in job for my LM Linea Mini.

This lived on my kitchen counter for several months while I built the coffee cart that will be used for the catered events.

I just looked at the La Marzocco website and they have parts numbers for the plumb in kit up there now.

This is the shot of the pump with the reservoir hose still connected.
Thanks! That new hose and fitting looks exactly like the braided hose that came with my Vivaldi S1 V2!

Beezer

#5: Post by Beezer »

Makes you wonder how LM can charge $125 (reportedly) for their plumb in kit. If it's just a braided hose, a piece of metal to jump the water sensor, and a connector, it shouldn't cost that much. Maybe $40 or $50 at most. But we haven't seen the official kit yet, so maybe it's too early to judge.

On another topic, does anyone know if the LM wooden paddles for the GS3 will fit on the Mini? Seems like the same design, but their site says the custom paddles only fit the GS3.

http://home.lamarzoccousa.com/product/m ... ew-paddle/
Lock and load!

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

Well, they have different part numbers and the Mini paddle is priced 2.5 times what the one on a GS3 is so maybe not.

Ira

DualBoilerFriend

#7: Post by DualBoilerFriend »

Good job. Thx for the pictures.

AzulCoffee (original poster)

#8: Post by AzulCoffee (original poster) »

Beezer wrote:Looks very clean and simple. How did you get the water connection through the case? Is there an opening that it can go through?
There is. In fact, these come ready to be plumbed in from the factory. I don't know why LM didn't just have the kit ready back in May.

It doesn't really surprise me that the kit costs that. The hose is a $30 piece from Espresso Parts.

I really like the look of the black paddle btw. I wondered about the maple wood pieces too, but the black looks so classy.

According to my Mazzer grinder, I'm at almost 700 shots through it. It's a great machine. I'm looking forward to a great journey with it.

boost

#9: Post by boost »

charlesaf3 wrote:My kit was shipped out by CC, due to arrive tomorrow.

No one seems to have mentioned it yet, but the drip tray is also set up for draining from the looks of things. Not sure what the thread on the plug is, I figured I'd play with that when I plumbed things in.

It might be a bit, as I'm waiting for my water test results to come back to spec the filter
Hmm side question, where do you get your water tested?

charlesaf3

#10: Post by charlesaf3 »

Microbac, based purely on the fact its the nearest professional water testing place. Cost around $170 for the La Marzocco list.