La Marzocco Linea Mini -- buttery-smooth feeling paddle mod

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
weebit_nutty

#1: Post by weebit_nutty »

The first thing I noticed about this high end machine was that while the fit and finish were outstanding, the feel of the paddle action left a bit to be desired. First, out of the box it was just too tight for my liking, and it had a kind of cheap feel to it. So before I even got it on my counter I had my tools out to improve on it.

After this mod, it will feel like it should.

The first thing was to adjust the tension on the lever arm by loosening the bolts:

Then get rid of the clacking sound by cushioning the left and right sides of frame where paddle lever arm makes contact:

Last, eliminate the unpleasant metal-on-metal scraping sound by applying a small strip of UHMW slick tape onto metal microswitch arm:
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

JonF

#2: Post by JonF »

Great photos and guide! I am so close to ordering the LMLM that I am flying to Seattle to look at one!

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

I did not know what UHMW slick tape was but this pdf from 3M explains it: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1582 ... hmw-pe.pdf .

Great mod(s) and equally great pics.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Mark08859

#4: Post by Mark08859 »

Since you're putting tape and protective material on parts that rub, is this something that you would expect to repeat on a regular basis (say, once a year). Or is this material that is extremely durable? BTW, are you pleased with your results? Thanks!

weebit_nutty (original poster)

#5: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) replying to Mark08859 »

Mark, the tape I used is this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RE ... detailpage

This was designed for drawers and such. I have had it under the very heavy steel drawers I have in my foyer for over a year, and with repeated use the tape shows little to no wear. It is an incredibly tough tape. I use it for many equipment in my workshop as well.

My guess is it should last the life of the machine given how little tension is required to activate the microswitch.

I used it on all of my espresso machines on any area I felt I could reduce the wear and tear, so long as it was hidden and posed no issues. I recommend putting it on the tabs on the underside of the drip tray and the drip tray rails. Also there are a couple of bolts protruding on the underside that were touching the edge of the drip tray cover, leaving little marks, , so I covered those as well. I love useful stuff like this.

#6: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) »

BTW, if it helps, here is an additional link to the tubing I used in this mod:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088Q ... detailpage

It can be any tube but it needs to be small enough so that it doesn't impede the movement of the lever, particularly the stop location on the left. I had this tubing lying around, that I repurposed.

Anyway, carefully stick a sharp x-acto blade into the hole and slit the tube about an inch. Then snip off two 1cm segments. Slide each into place on the spots pertinent spots (don't try pushing them directly onto the edge, it's almost impossible).

charlesaf3

#7: Post by charlesaf3 »

Any chance you've had occasion to pop the front knobs off? I imagine it's a pry then unbolt, but nicer to have some guidelines

Advertisement

#8: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) »

Why would you want to take them off? I have only gone as far as right the faces on them... and just to warn you, those do not pry off. The fleur-de-lis faces are threaded and unscrew from the knob. I posted photos of that earlier.

charlesaf3

#9: Post by charlesaf3 »

I want to see if I can swap the knobs for levers. Good to know on prying as that would have been my first step. Where were the photos posted?

#10: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) »